GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gasoline Mixture for Weed Whip (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/150094-gasoline-mixture-weed-whip.html)

A. Pismo Clam[_1_] 05-10-2006 09:58 PM

Gasoline Mixture for Weed Whip

Does anyone know the shelf life for the oil/gasoline mixture?

I made a little more than I needed this morning and don't want to
dispose of it now.

Will it keep until March?

Many thanks!

Alan

Art 06-10-2006 12:20 AM

A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Does anyone know the shelf life for the oil/gasoline mixture?

I made a little more than I needed this morning and don't want to
dispose of it now.

Will it keep until March?

Many thanks!

Alan

30-60 days.
You could go buy some fuel stabilizer or just pour it in you car.
That small amount of gas/oil mix diluted in at least a half a tankful of
gas and your car will never notice it.

--
Art

Ken Weitzel 06-10-2006 12:47 AM

Art wrote:
A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Does anyone know the shelf life for the oil/gasoline mixture?

I made a little more than I needed this morning and don't want to
dispose of it now.

Will it keep until March?

Many thanks!

Alan

30-60 days.
You could go buy some fuel stabilizer or just pour it in you car.
That small amount of gas/oil mix diluted in at least a half a tankful of
gas and your car will never notice it.

Hi Art...

I'd respectfully suggest that I wouldn't be too anxious to
put it in mine; risking a few hundred dollars worth of injectors and
perhaps even the cat converter isn't worth saving a dollar or two
worth of gas/oil :)

But, if the OP is a product of the waste not/want not generation
(like me) he might be able to give it away to someone with a
two stroke snowmobile/snowblower, or if he's in the warm climes,
perhaps one of those rv's that the young folks enjoy :)

Just my one cent worth (hey, waste not want not :)

Take care.

Ken

Frank 06-10-2006 12:49 AM

A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Does anyone know the shelf life for the oil/gasoline mixture?

I made a little more than I needed this morning and don't want to
dispose of it now.

Will it keep until March?

Many thanks!

Alan

I always have 2 full 2 gal. cans of the mix. Now near end of summer,
I've added Stabil (sic) to it and am not running lawn mower dry. Did it
last year and mower runs fine. Never had problem with gas/oil over
winter. Oxidation is main problem with stability and full sealed cans
should last for years. Stability would be much less in a partially
filled, plastic container such as the tank of a string trimmer. Also
just bought snow thrower. Literature says to either run dry at end of
season or add stabilizer. Already do that for gas in generator. I've
started to put dates on when cans were filled and will cycle out any
more than 2 years old.
Frank

ecarecar 06-10-2006 12:54 AM

Gasoline Mixture for Weed Whip

Sure.

The oil by itself would keep.
The gasoline by itself would keep.
The mixture will keep.

I have used 2-stroke fuel mix more than a year old, and it works fine.

Just keep it with a cap on so the gasoline doesn't evaporate.

evolutionman 2004 14-12-2006 03:48 AM

Gasoline Mixture for Weed Whip

Add fuel stabilizer using the mfgs. instructions for the proper amount. I
live in a very humid area ( no snow; lots of winter rain) and the 1 gallon
amount I use (plus the amount in the small engines) mixed with fuel
stabilizer keeps for several months until early spring.