Old 19-10-2006, 05:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Aeration On The Cheap

Renting a proper aerator machine costs bucks. Plus, my yard is
relatively small and laid out oddly (partly including a 45-degree
slope, and a sunken area.)

So, would it help to just do it manually with a large fork? How
far apart, and how deep?

The soil is rather clay-ish, although thoroughly watering it
helps when digging garden beds.

I have already added lime and fertiliser in the past couple
months. And just yesterday spot-treated some broadleaf weeds
with Roundup ("Die! Diiiiieeee!") This place was neglected
before I moved in.

It is (an especially cold) springtime in this part of the world,
and I will overseed when the weather gets better in a month or
so.

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/
Old 19-10-2006, 07:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
Renting a proper aerator machine costs bucks. Plus, my yard is
relatively small and laid out oddly (partly including a 45-degree
slope, and a sunken area.)

Core aeration is the best, the physical removal of cores from your lawn,
perhaps some aeration shoes?
So, would it help to just do it manually with a large fork? How
far apart, and how deep?

The soil is rather clay-ish, although thoroughly watering it
helps when digging garden beds.

I have already added lime and fertiliser in the past couple
months. And just yesterday spot-treated some broadleaf weeds
with Roundup ("Die! Diiiiieeee!") This place was neglected
before I moved in.

Roundup shouldnt be used on your lawn...peroid. Use a 2-4-D product instead.

Old 21-10-2006, 07:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Proper aerating can only be done with core aeration.
When you use spikes, you're just compressing the soil around that hole.

You'll also want to dethatch if there's a buildup greater than 1/2 inch.
You can prevent thatch by avoiding excess nitrogen application, irrigating
deeply and infrequently, and minimizing the use of lawn pesticides that can
reduce populations of microorganisms responsible for decomposing the thatch.

To save on the money, maybe you can find some neighbors, friends who can all
help split the cost. Or just splurge this once and have a gardener aerate
and dethatch..

Check with your county's cooperative extension for further information on
how to properly correct your lawn problems.
Nicole in CA

--
3 of every 10 Americans Know Someone With Lupus
Help find the cure. www.lupus.org

Old 23-10-2006, 12:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:54:20 -0700, wrote:

Renting a proper aerator machine costs bucks. Plus, my yard is
relatively small and laid out oddly (partly including a 45-degree
slope, and a sunken area.)

So, would it help to just do it manually with a large fork? How
far apart, and how deep?

The soil is rather clay-ish, although thoroughly watering it
helps when digging garden beds.

I have already added lime and fertiliser in the past couple
months. And just yesterday spot-treated some broadleaf weeds
with Roundup ("Die! Diiiiieeee!") This place was neglected
before I moved in.

It is (an especially cold) springtime in this part of the world,
and I will overseed when the weather gets better in a month or
so.

I saw sandles(that go on the outside of your shoes) that have big
spikes on it. Kinda like golf shoes on roids. Just walking around
your yard will aerote it.

not recommended that I have heard, really more of a con. If you want to do
it on the cheap better use a fork than aeration shoes.

rob

Old 23-10-2006, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[...]

Now you can put those years of clogg dancing lessions to use.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Old 26-10-2006, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:12:24 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Salid or Dinner?

tom

rob

Old 26-10-2006, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

Hey, pay attention! We're talking gardening, so clearly
you'd need a pickle fork!

Ken

Old 29-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered User

Sewage treatment plant’s aeration system
Though we wanted to consult with engineers inside of SSI about the final design for our sewage treatment plant’s aeration system, we had to prepare a presentation for the state to get the funding and we were out of time. So we were able to use SSI’s design tools to quickly evaluate diffused aeration options on their web site, and even look at drawings and calculations of our specific case.

http://www.stamfordscientific.com/designyourplant.html