GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Now a 6 pointer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/150655-now-6-pointer.html)

Srgnt Billko 30-10-2006 12:34 AM

Now a 6 pointer

Another grandson got a bambi. The 18 yo got himself a 6 pointer. He's
taking a culinary course in school and likes to mess around in the kitchen -
so it will be interesting to see what he does with the venison.

Stubby 30-10-2006 12:58 AM

Now a 6 pointer

wrong news group

Chas Hurst 30-10-2006 01:03 AM

Now a 6 pointer

No it isn't. Damn deer eat the daylights out of my shrubbery because the
hunters (and cars) don't kill enough of them.
The problem is so bad her in PA that there is no restriction or limit to the
number or sex of deer a hunter may kill, an d we're still overrun.

"Stubby" wrote in message
wrong news group

Eggs Zachtly 30-10-2006 01:26 AM

Now a 6 pointer

Stubby said:

wrong news group

You went to school to become a wit, but only got half-way through, didn't
you.

--

Eggs

How can there be self-help "groups"?

Jonny 30-10-2006 02:02 AM

Now a 6 pointer

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Another grandson got a bambi. The 18 yo got himself a 6 pointer. He's
taking a culinary course in school and likes to mess around in the
kitchen - so it will be interesting to see what he does with the venison.

For beginnners, let the meat stew in the fridge for a day in either some
storebought or home-made stuff to break down the meat. This may ease the
taste for those who detect the "gamey" in it.

Graduate to smoking. Cover with foil and slow cook for 12 hours. Open up
the foil to the grate, smoke it afterwards another 4-6 hours. Cover it
again with foil, add seasonings etc. before sealing. Cook another 4 hours.
Live oak works best, tempered with some mesquite in the smoke period. Don't
dry it out, keep it moist.

Beer based BBQ sauce over a slow fire is excellent. And some slice lemon
(whole). Tends to break down the toughness. Not for smoking, a slow BBQ
only.

Best sausage is made from venison backstrap with some pork for fat content
and balanced meat/fat taste.
--
Jonny

Frank 30-10-2006 01:30 PM

Now a 6 pointer

Jonny wrote:
[...]

Most important is to remove all fat and bone. Most butchers do not
differentiate from beef and use bone saws, leaving bone and fat. Avoid
them. Do not strip ribs or add deer fat to burger. I like fried
burger without fat but need to add it to chili. Backstrap is too good
to make sausage - just fry or broil it like steak

I used to do my own butchering but found a professional butcher/hunter
that knows exactly what he is doing. He also double freezer wraps.

Also deer damage to my property was severe this fall when my chestnut
trees were dropping nuts. Drove me nuts because I cannot hunt in yard.
I'm hoping this year that deer population in my neighborhood is so
bad, that herd will die back this winter. Without predators of
hunters, deer population can be highly cyclic as whole herd will starve
in winter.
Lot of naive people think lose of habitat is problem. Not true. Deer
herd without predators will expand to fill any land they can.

Frank

Jonny 31-10-2006 11:20 AM

Now a 6 pointer

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jonny wrote:
[...]

Live in a rural area on relatively small acreage. Two medium sized dogs
that always seem to find a way out of the fenced in yard, hole digging.
They usually bring back bones and rotting carcasses. A few weeks ago, they
brought back a freshly killed whitetail fawn. Apparently, I'm not the only
one with a dog or two running loose. Have seen others from time to time
that I recognize belonging to others around here.
Deer don't seem to damage anything around my place. Everything I value,
that they may damage, is behind an adequate height fence protected by dogs.
The garden is out by the standalone garage, its got a 5' high fence. They
usually browse, looking for broadleaf. My neighbor has a deerblind next to
the property line, and maintains a corn feeder year round.
Have to agree, backstrap is the best part of a deer. Not much for frying
unprocessed red meat though.
--
Jonny

Srgnt Billko 31-10-2006 01:57 PM

Now a 6 pointer

"Jonny" wrote in message
.net...
"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jonny wrote:
[...]

The 5' fence won't stop the deer we have here.

They usually browse, looking for broadleaf. My neighbor has a deerblind
next to the property line, and maintains a corn feeder year round.

If that feeder is to bait deer It's illegal in our state.

Eggs Zachtly 31-10-2006 09:42 PM

Now a 6 pointer

[Top-posting fixed]

Stubby said:

Jonny wrote:
[snip]

Please. Take it to alt.food.cooking or rec.food.cooking . Thanks.

Please. Learn to post properly. Put your replies in-line, and snip
irrelevant text.

You already knew what the thread was about. Noone's holding a gun to your
****ing head, saying, "Open the post, stupid." You don't like the subject,
killfile the thread, or just ignore it.

--

Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?

Steveo 31-10-2006 11:06 PM

Now a 6 pointer

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
The 5' fence won't stop the deer we have here.

The same for most of them here in the Buckeye, Sarge.

Steveo 31-10-2006 11:10 PM

Now a 6 pointer

wrote:
[Top-posting fixed]

Stubby said:

Jonny wrote:
[snip]

Please. Take it to alt.food.cooking or rec.food.cooking . Thanks.

Please. Learn to post properly. Put your replies in-line, and snip
irrelevant text.

You already knew what the thread was about. Noone's holding a gun to your
****ing head, saying, "Open the post, stupid." You don't like the
subject, killfile the thread, or just ignore it.

Stubby, a head like a squash.

Eggs Zachtly 31-10-2006 11:17 PM

Now a 6 pointer

Steveo said:

wrote:
[Top-posting fixed]

Stubby said:

Jonny wrote:
[snip]

Please. Take it to alt.food.cooking or rec.food.cooking . Thanks.

Please. Learn to post properly. Put your replies in-line, and snip
irrelevant text.

You already knew what the thread was about. Noone's holding a gun to your
****ing head, saying, "Open the post, stupid." You don't like the
subject, killfile the thread, or just ignore it.

Stubby, a head like a squash.

Ya. He's one of those posters that ya just gotta squint, hold yer thumb and
index finger about || --- this far apart over their name, and squeeze
those digits together. In effect, crushing them like a grape. =)
--

Eggs

My weight is perfect for my height.... which varies.

Steveo 31-10-2006 11:25 PM

Now a 6 pointer

wrote:
Steveo said:

wrote:
[Top-posting fixed]

Stubby said:

Jonny wrote:
[snip]

Please. Take it to alt.food.cooking or rec.food.cooking . Thanks.

Please. Learn to post properly. Put your replies in-line, and snip
irrelevant text.

You already knew what the thread was about. Noone's holding a gun to
your ****ing head, saying, "Open the post, stupid." You don't like the
subject, killfile the thread, or just ignore it.

Stubby, a head like a squash.

Ya. He's one of those posters that ya just gotta squint, hold yer thumb
and index finger about || --- this far apart over their name, and
squeeze those digits together. In effect, crushing them like a grape. =)

He posts here between carnivals. hehe

Jonny 02-11-2006 06:57 PM

Now a 6 pointer

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Jonny" wrote in message
.net...
"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jonny wrote:
[...]

Have only wittle whitetail here. Wittle garden is wittle. By the time they
jump over, they're hittin the fence on the other side, if they make it over.
They make higher wire fencing for those with larger or more agile nuisances.

They usually browse, looking for broadleaf. My neighbor has a deerblind
next to the property line, and maintains a corn feeder year round.

If that feeder is to bait deer It's illegal in our state.

Neighbor uses it for feeding deer primarily. Alternatively, for baiting
when he feels like taking one. Not illegal here either way.