Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

Default String Trimmer Ideas

wrote:
I need a string trimmer. That thing for cutting the lawn. Weed-
eater, or whatever you would call it. (A regular mower won't
work - the area is small, with slopes and sunken area, plus
narrow paths between veggie beds.)

A NON-negotiable point is that it must be electric.

A saw a low-priced 18-volt cordless rechargeable at the
supermarket recently. However, there wasn't even any clear
indication of the manufacturer's name (except, "Made In China.")
And that supermarket seems to be an outlet for some rather
dubious, "fell off the truck" items, plus a poor refund policy.

So I am interested in comments about reliable brands/models.
Including the question of corded or -less. I don't absolutely
need a rechargeable, but it would be nice. And, avoiding the
purchase of a heavy power lead would offset the price. OTOH, I
want something reliable. And I have heard of issues with drills,
etc, where a new battery cost more than a new whole unit.

Thanks...

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

I like my Black and Decker weed whacker but I have one complaint. The
string in freaking expensive. I tried to use fishing line and tried to
use electical wire and tried to rig something up using nails, none of
these great ideas worked and actually they all kind of were dangerous.
Any one have any ideas to reduce the cost of the string?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:29:26 -0800, wrote:
In article ,
says...
But I wouldn't do electric unless the entire
potential area is a postage stamp.

What is your objection to electric?

Personally, I hate dealing with recharging and the limited power
available from batteries. I also hate dealing with extension cords of
any length. I dislike the fumes from gas and exhaust, but not enough to
mitigate the electrical issues. Oh, and I currently use a gas
weed-eater string trimmer, and an electric weed-eater leaf blower (it
was a gift). I'm pretty comfortable with my preference, but I'm also
cheap enough that I haven't yet replaced the electric blower...

The reason I want electric is that I don't have any proper/safe
place to store petrol. Not even the small amount in those
trimmer tanks.

Which probably means your place is small enough that an extension cord
wouldn't be an issue. Or to relate it to my previous post, it sounds as
if you live on a postage stamp.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

BeaForoni wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Um, I dunno which model you have, but I rewind the replacemnt hubs
myself from bulk 'blue' trimmer line.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Hedge trimmer attachment for a John Deere "Quik-tatch" string trimmer? [email protected] Gardening 0 10-03-2014 11:07 PM
Easy to see, Expat owns John Smith and John Smith is ExpatsPuppet on a String! hahahaha ..... Dance Johnny boy.. dance you fool!John Smith the puppet on a string John Smith[_5_] Ponds 0 07-09-2008 05:42 PM
String trimmer string breaks too often Robert Reznikoff Lawns 3 02-07-2007 04:23 PM
String Trimmer Ideas Gardening 18 08-11-2006 11:28 PM
Homelite String Trimmer Problem Wayne Smith Gardening 3 18-06-2003 09:39 AM