Old 19-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Registered User

Default to roll or not to roll...

lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if any?..
Old 19-11-2006, 01:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jellyfish wrote:
lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can
roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if
any?..

Compacted soil.
Old 19-11-2006, 03:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
jellyfish wrote:
lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can
roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if
any?..

Compacted soil.

Compacting the high points is what we want, at least if it causes the
low points to be filled in. Unfortunately, rolling has not helped my
lawn. I rented a standard 24" wide by about 15" in diameter roller and
filled it with water. This was towed around behind my tractor for
several passes. NFG.
Old 19-11-2006, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
jellyfish

If you want to do a really good job of this, you would be well served to
core aerate the lawn very well first, then roll, then aerate again.

If you are a glutton for work, repeat this process a couple of times.

And by the way, you should probably cut your grass pretty low before
starting.

Old 19-11-2006, 06:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby said:

Steveo wrote:
jellyfish wrote:
lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can
roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if
any?..

Compacted soil.

Compacting the high points is what we want, at least if it causes the
low points to be filled in.

Compacting high points won't fill in low points. Grading does that,
dipshit.

Unfortunately, rolling has not helped my lawn.

I'm sure that ineptness is what's not helping your lawn.

I rented a standard 24" wide by about 15" in diameter roller and
filled it with water.

"Standard"? Who's "standard" roller is that small? Please show us this list
of roller "standards".

This was towed around behind my tractor for several passes.

A tractor weighs much more than a cylinder filled with 4.5 gallons of
water, idiot. The tractor would do a much better job at compacting your
soil, if that's what you're trying to do. That's all you're going to do by
the way. If you want a smooth lawn, cut out the sod, properly grade it,
then resod.

NFG.

What's that, the advice you give here? Well, we'll agree on that, then.

--

Eggs

My weight is perfect for my height.... which varies.

Old 20-11-2006, 02:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
jellyfish wrote:
lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can
roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if
any?..

Compacted soil.

Compacting the high points is what we want,

I should have expected you'd want the downside. Afterall, you're clueless
Stubby.

at least if it causes the
low points to be filled in.

No it doesn't.

Unfortunately, rolling has not helped my
lawn. I rented a standard 24" wide by about 15" in diameter roller and
filled it with water. This was towed around behind my tractor for
several passes. NFG.

I could have told you that if you would have asked. How do you make it
through life being such a dumbass, stub?
Old 20-11-2006, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"jellyfish" wrote in message

lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can
roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if
any?..
--
jellyfish

If you want to do a really good job of this, you would be well served to
core aerate the lawn very well first, then roll, then aerate again.

He sets back his aeration two years everytime he rolls it. Hello.
Old 21-11-2006, 05:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Steveo wrote:
jellyfish wrote:
lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i can
roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this if
any?..

Compacted soil.

Compacting the high points is what we want, at least if it causes the low
points to be filled in. Unfortunately, rolling has not helped my lawn.
I rented a standard 24" wide by about 15" in diameter roller and filled it
with water. This was towed around behind my tractor for several passes.
NFG.

Maybe have a pro come in with a 800 pound roller if you want to compact the
bumps. But it wont fill in the low spots. Also 2 feet is a small ass roller,
why the hell would you need to pull it behind a tractor!

To lawn roll or not? [email protected] Gardening 5 08-04-2008 06:50 PM
Sowing new grass seed, roll or don't roll? MM United Kingdom 1 14-04-2005 06:19 PM
When is the best time to roll the lawn? P United Kingdom 9 04-02-2004 06:01 PM
Know your roll Cunt Tree Boy Roses 1 28-07-2003 06:22 PM
Log roll edging Will United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 10:32 AM