Old 27-11-2006, 01:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default fertilizer for October Glory Maple tree

2 years ago i planted the October Glory but it's not growing at the rate i
had hpoed. i live in NJ and the soil is pretty much sandy below the first
several inches. it gets good watering and had a nice size mulch area around
it and i will be increasing that size this spring. what kind of fertilizer
is recommended for trees. this young tree is about 12' tall, trunk is
about 3" wide. the tree gets full sun from 10am til dusk and i was told
this is ideal for this tree. i'd like to give it a good jump start int he
spring so any help is appreciated.

mike.........

Old 28-11-2006, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JerseyMike said:

2 years ago i planted the October Glory but it's not growing at the rate i
had hpoed. i live in NJ and the soil is pretty much sandy below the first
several inches. it gets good watering

Could you be more specific about the "good watering"? For instance, you may
think that "good watering" would be watering several times a week. If the
tree's getting that much water, it doesn't have to search for it, therefore
the roots don't need to grow as agressively, and in turn, the tree grows
slower. Same with over-fertilizing. Something to keep in mind.

and had a nice size mulch area around
it and i will be increasing that size this spring.

Mulching past the tree's dripline [1] is a waste of mulch (and turf area).
Mulching up against the bark of the tree will bring you problems, down the
road (insects, fungus, etc.).

what kind of fertilizer is recommended for trees.

This spring, perhaps something higher in Potassium, if you really think the
tree is somehow, stunted. But from your description:

this young tree is about 12' tall, trunk is
about 3" wide.

It doesn't sound like the wrong dimensions, to me, for Acer rubrum. Have
you pruned it, to encourage spreading? A. rubrum spreads out quite readily,
but if conditions promote vertical growth (full sun, water, shorter growing
season, etc), it will grow taller and a bit thinner. You're also near the
northern fringes of it's hardiness zone, which may play into things. Have
you pruned it?

the tree gets full sun from 10am til dusk and i was told
this is ideal for this tree. i'd like to give it a good jump start int he
spring so any help is appreciated.

[1]. Likewise, not mulching all the way to the dripline is a waste of mulch
*and* time.

--

Eggs

Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
Old 28-11-2006, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JerseyMike wrote:
2 years ago i planted the October Glory but it's not growing at the rate i
had hpoed. i live in NJ and the soil is pretty much sandy below the first
several inches. it gets good watering and had a nice size mulch area around
it and i will be increasing that size this spring. what kind of fertilizer
is recommended for trees. this young tree is about 12' tall, trunk is
about 3" wide. the tree gets full sun from 10am til dusk and i was told
this is ideal for this tree. i'd like to give it a good jump start int he
spring so any help is appreciated.

mike.........

I think the tree needs to establish itself, give it a couple of more
years and the maple will take off. Did you open up the burlap that
surrounds the root ball. I found that with the trees that I've planted.
I like open the burlap a bit. I don't think it rots away fast enough.

good luck

Old 28-11-2006, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
JerseyMike said:

2 years ago i planted the October Glory but it's not growing at the rate

had hpoed. i live in NJ and the soil is pretty much sandy below the

first
several inches. it gets good watering

Could you be more specific about the "good watering"? For instance, you

may
think that "good watering" would be watering several times a week. If the
tree's getting that much water, it doesn't have to search for it,

therefore
the roots don't need to grow as agressively, and in turn, the tree grows
slower. Same with over-fertilizing. Something to keep in mind.

well i usually let nature take it's course but it gets water when i water
the lawn daily. the tree is located in the center of the lawn so it gets
overlap when the lawn is watered. in times of hot weather and little rain i
fill a 5 gallon bucket that has an 1/8 hole at the base so water can trickle
out slowly and do this as i think is necessary.

and had a nice size mulch area around
it and i will be increasing that size this spring.

Mulching past the tree's dripline [1] is a waste of mulch (and turf area).
Mulching up against the bark of the tree will bring you problems, down the
road (insects, fungus, etc.).

the tree has about 16"- 20" to all sides (circular) of the trunk of mulch
and is not packed tight to the trunk. the lower branches extend about a
foot past the decorative stone perimeter.

what kind of fertilizer is recommended for trees.

This spring, perhaps something higher in Potassium, if you really think

the
tree is somehow, stunted. But from your description:

this young tree is about 12' tall, trunk is
about 3" wide.

It doesn't sound like the wrong dimensions, to me, for Acer rubrum. Have
you pruned it, to encourage spreading? A. rubrum spreads out quite

readily,
but if conditions promote vertical growth (full sun, water, shorter

growing
season, etc), it will grow taller and a bit thinner. You're also near the
northern fringes of it's hardiness zone, which may play into things. Have
you pruned it?

when i planted it i took off only a few branches, i didn't want to shock it.
last spring, i pruned it a bit more, but i didn't want to do too much at
once and i was planning to do some more this spring.

Old 28-11-2006, 01:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"jdagy" wrote in message
oups.com...

JerseyMike wrote:
[...]

i was told not to open it up, but after it was in place i cut the twine.

mike..........

Old 28-11-2006, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JerseyMike said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

[...]

well i usually let nature take it's course but it gets water when i water
the lawn daily. the tree is located in the center of the lawn so it gets
overlap when the lawn is watered. in times of hot weather and little rain i
fill a 5 gallon bucket that has an 1/8 hole at the base so water can trickle
out slowly and do this as i think is necessary.

Not over-watering. =)

[...]

the tree has about 16"- 20" to all sides (circular) of the trunk of mulch
and is not packed tight to the trunk. the lower branches extend about a
foot past the decorative stone perimeter.

Time to mulch out a bit farther.

[...]

when i planted it i took off only a few branches, i didn't want to shock it.
last spring, i pruned it a bit more, but i didn't want to do too much at
once and i was planning to do some more this spring.

It'll branch out. Sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Just give
it time.

[...]

--

Eggs

- If I went 'round, saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened
bink had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!