Old 10-12-2006, 02:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Seeding a ruined lawn

I just moved into a house where half of the front lawn has been destroyed by
vehicles parking on it. I would like to seed this area and make it look
better. But I have never done this before. I would like the proper steps
(procedure) for seeding a lawn.

There is a pecan tree that has shed its leaves for many years without proper
raking. So it has composted over time to the point of raising the elevation
of the lawn. Due to this the topsoil is very rich and fertile.

Also, I would like to know which kind of grass would grow best in full shade
for half of the day and full sun the rest of the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

StevenP wrote:
I just moved into a house where half of the front lawn has been destroyed by
vehicles parking on it. I would like to seed this area and make it look
better. But I have never done this before. I would like the proper steps
(procedure) for seeding a lawn.

There is a pecan tree that has shed its leaves for many years without proper
raking. So it has composted over time to the point of raising the elevation
of the lawn. Due to this the topsoil is very rich and fertile.

Also, I would like to know which kind of grass would grow best in full shade
for half of the day and full sun the rest of the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Since the soil is of good quality, but has had vehicles parked on it, I
would first use a core aerator, which you can rent. Then I'd fill in
or regrade any low spots. Then, I'd use a slice seeder/over seeder, to
apply the seed. Apply starter fertilizer. Also, before you start,
test the soil PH and adjust if needed by applying pellitized limestone.
You can rent these machines for about $45 a half day.

Since I live up north, and it sounds like you live in the south,
someone else will have to give advice on grass type.

Lawn ruined Moonraker United Kingdom 13 03-10-2011 11:20 AM
Radishs ruined - by what? Matthew Reed Gardening 4 05-07-2006 06:08 AM
Ruined Chuckie Gardening 9 04-07-2006 04:41 PM
this rascal ruined my garden! Charles P Edible Gardening 21 29-06-2003 05:44 AM