Old 13-12-2006, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help or suggestions for killing wild Onions?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild
onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine.
I live in the South if that is important.
I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up
but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if
round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire
yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

Any suggestions?

ERic
Old 13-12-2006, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lar Lar is offline

Eric Kent wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild
onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine.
I live in the South if that is important.
I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up
but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if
round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire
yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

Any suggestions?

ERic

If you choose to go the way of "chemical" treatments, using Broadleaf
herbicides containing 2,4-D can give you results with repeat
applications. But I believe for centipede and st Augustine grasses
reduced label rates are recommended.

Lar
Old 14-12-2006, 11:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eric Kent wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild
onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine.
I live in the South if that is important.
I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up
but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if
round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire
yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

I find that if I use a fork and/or shovel to loosen the soil where the
wild onions are growing, I can pull them out. Then I lay the offenders
on a rock in the sun for a week or so 'til they are too dry to grow.
Old 15-12-2006, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eric Kent" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild
onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine.
I live in the South if that is important.
I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up
but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if
round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire
yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

sell them to taco bell?

Old 15-12-2006, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Don wrote:
"Eric Kent" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild
onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine.
I live in the South if that is important.
I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up
but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if
round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire
yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

sell them to taco bell?

I've had good results using a concentrated, (~10%) solution of Roundup
or similar applied with a sponge while wearing a rubber glove. You
just grasp near base and slide the sponge along the onion in one
motion. Of course this assumes you have a reasonable number to deal
with.

Old 20-12-2006, 08:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Don`t panic, the solution is simple. Round-up kills everything, it`s
not what you want because it will kill your good grass. Use 24-D,
commercially known as weed-B-gone. I`ts expensive as hell if you buy it
retail. I recommend a company called Agri-Supply, it`s a third of the
cost and you can hose down the entire lawn as it does`nt harm grass. It
is a contact herbicide so the onion has to be up for it to be
effective. Remember to thatch and re-seed when the onion dies.

Old 21-12-2006, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

ups.com...
Eric Kent wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before. I have a problem with wild
onions in my yard. My grass is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine.
I live in the South if that is important.
I've tried some granules with mixed success. I've also used round up
but it looks bad to have large dead spots in the yard. However, if
round up is the only solution, I'll be willing to sterilize the entire
yard to get rid of the things. I dislike them that much.

Any suggestions?

ERic

No, no, no, that's a bad idea -- 2, 4-D should not be used on St. Augustine
grass -- it'll kill it. St. Augustine is biologically much closer to a weed
or crabgrass than it is to a conventional turf grass and herbicides that can
be used on northern cool-weather turf shouldn't be used on St. Augustine..

If you're going to use a herbicide over your entire lawn -- something I'd
suggest against, in any case -- read the label - all of it - in detail.
You're likely to find that buried somewhere in the verbiage is a list of
plants on which the chemical should NOT be used, and the list for many lawn
chemicals (including those with 2,4 D) will include St. Augustine grass.
It's hard to find a pesticide that effectively will kill weeds in your St.
Augustine lawn. You're probably better off to spot treat where needed.

Incidentally, 2,4-D was 50% of the contents of Agent Orange, although the
well-known problems with AO probably came from other dioxins in the mix --

Regards --

Old 22-12-2006, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JimR wrote:
ups.com...
Eric Kent wrote:
[...]

Not to mention that he's wrong that it's very expensive and of much use
against wild onions, which are very difficult to kill compared to a
typical broadleaf weed.

Old 22-12-2006, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
JimR wrote:
ups.com...
Eric Kent wrote:
[...]

Yes, and the dioxin that has been outlawed for 20 years or more. Don't
cornfuse them with the facts, Trader.

--
Happy Holidays