Old 13-01-2007, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Question about lawn tractor tires

My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

Old 13-01-2007, 10:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

Probably depends on two things.
1. You can not use a tire with a different rim size. It must fit the rim.
2. As far as the sidewall hieght and tread, it depends on the clearance
available.

Why not ask the manufacturer and / or a tire dealership?

Old 13-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

The last digit is the rim size, As long as that number is the same as in your example they will go right on. The 15X5.00-6 is a skinner tire but same height.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt
Old 13-01-2007, 01:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
ups.com...
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

Yes

Old 13-01-2007, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob said:

wrote in message
ups.com...
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

Probably depends on two things.
1. You can not use a tire with a different rim size. It must fit the rim.
2. As far as the sidewall hieght and tread, it depends on the clearance
available.

Bob, what part about "your OE is ****ing up quotes" don't you understand?
The USENET has had standards (read: son of RFC 1036) which include the
format of a quoted reply:

"The order of arrival of news articles at a particular host depends
somewhat on transmission paths, and occasionally articles are lost for
various reasons. When responding to a previous article, posters SHOULD not
assume that all readers understand the exact context. It is common to quote
some of the previous article to establish context. This SHOULD be done by
prefacing each quoted line (even if it is empty) with the character "".
This will result in multiple levels of "" when quoted context itself
contains quoted context."

You're little "_________" at the end of your "quoted" text doesn't make you
look cool to other posters. It makes you look like a ****ing idiot.

Why not ask the manufacturer and / or a tire dealership?

Are you the AntiUSENET or something? You always want to steer people
elsewhere. If you don't believe that qualified answers can be given here,
then what, really, are *you* doing here?

Are you related to Stubby?

--
Eggs

-What do you call a fish with no eyes? ... A fsh

Old 13-01-2007, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Are you related to Stubby?

lol

--
30/GB
http://newsreader.com/
Old 14-01-2007, 01:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

Probably depends on two things.
1. You can not use a tire with a different rim size. It must fit the rim.
2. As far as the sidewall hieght and tread, it depends on the clearance
available.

Why not ask the manufacturer and / or a tire dealership?

I'm trying to but Carlise Tire Company does not have a single phone
number listed on their webpage. In terms of a tire dealership - nobody
around where I am located is going to have and lawn tractor tires
except the John Deere dealership which is not the greatest for getting
info from.

Old 14-01-2007, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
restrorob wrote:

Wrote:

My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

The last digit is the rim size, As long as that number is the same as
in your example they will go right on. The 15X5.00-6 is a skinner tire
but same height.

--
restrorob

So the first number is the total diameter of the tire end to end, the
second number is the width and the third number is the rim diameter?
What unit of measure do they use for the width? Thanks for your reply.

No. The first number is the diameter of the rim (20"). The second number
is the width of the rim (10").
The third number is the tire section height (the width of the tire
sidewall between the tire bead and tread).
So, a 20x10.00-8 tire would be 36" high (20" + (2 x 8")) by 10" wide.

| 10" |
______ ___ ____
/ \ |
| | 8" |
|______| ___ |
\ / |
| | |
|____| 20" 36"
| | |
| | |
/____\ ___ |
| | |
| | 8" |
\______/ ___ __|_

What I'm looking to do is have my "lawn and turf tires" and then
another set of "super bite" tires. I've never tried changing either of
these tires sizes but I do have a full size Coats RC15A industrial tire
changer.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 15-01-2007, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Willshak wrote:
wrote:
restrorob wrote:

Wrote:

[...]

That is flat out wrong.

With lawn & garden tires the last number is _always_ the rim diameter. A
20 x 10 - 8 is going to be 20" high, 10" wide on an 8" rim.

There are 2 methods of measuring tires. One of which, commonly used on
small tires - the 1st number is the tire section height and the second
number is the width. 4.10 x 3.50 - 5 is an example of this method. The
other method is when the 1st number is the entire height of the tire
such as the op has. Again the last number is _always_ the rim diameter.

--
Art

Old 15-01-2007, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:
wrote:
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?

Yes the 15 x 5.00 -6 will work but it will be about 1" narrower. That
might cause some rutting when turning if the front end is heavy. If you
already have these tires then they will probably be just fine. If you
haven't bought them yet, I would suggest that you stay with the original
size. You could get them here
http://www.outdoordistributors.com/C...turfsaver.html
for about $19.00 each which is a pretty good price.

--
Art

Thanks for that clarification on tire size (and correcting the other
poster.) Yes, I've been looking at the Carlise tires but what I need
is more of a winter tire (I can't use chains.) They have a snow-hog
tire but the closest size is 15x5-6 (instead of 15x6-6) for the front
tires. So I think I will go with those. For the rear they don't have
a "snow tire" to fit the 20x10-8 but they have the "super lug" style
which is one of their "big biters" but I'm not sure how they are in
snow vs dirt.
http://www.carlisletire.com/products...lug/index.html

For summer I'm going to try the Carlise Turf Master they look nice:
http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ter/index.html

Old 15-01-2007, 10:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Bob said:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks so very much for your unbiased and considerate suggestions. I am
sure I will have a better life as a result of your wisdom - and perhaps your
blood pressure will have returned to a more narmal state as a result of your
rambling.
Thanks, Bob

Old 15-01-2007, 02:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob said:

[borked quote snipped again]

Do you not see how ****ed up your quote was? And, you're not getting closer
with fixing it, either.

Thanks so very much for your unbiased and considerate suggestions. I am
sure I will have a better life as a result of your wisdom - and perhaps your
blood pressure will have returned to a more narmal state as a result of your
rambling.
Thanks, Bob

Your reply above was posted as the signature (because your OE doesn't quote
correctly, by default, a fix for which I provided in my first reply to you:

My blood pressure is fine, btw. Your brain cells must be dying at an
incremental rate, though, as you're making yourself look more like an idiot
with each post you make.

You *must* be related to Stubby.

--

Eggs

The Romans didn't find algebra very challenging, because X was always 10.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

I am sure everyone is impressed with your wisdom and elegance in expressing
yourself - and still only a sophomore in HS.
Thanks

Bob said:

[...]

tractor tires Raleighgirl North Carolina 5 14-02-2005 06:51 PM
Lawn Tractor Tires do$feratu Gardening 7 19-06-2004 03:02 AM
Question about Dixon mower tires [email protected] Lawns 1 18-04-2004 12:03 PM
Damage from Lawn mower tires Tin Man Lawns 0 11-06-2003 01:08 PM
snowblower- tires Tim Lawns 3 11-02-2003 03:55 AM