Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Belt too tight on Sears LT-1000. Smokes when idling

Hello

I just replaced the ground drive belt on my sears LT-1000 lawn
tractor. The previous belt was well worn and loose. That caused
slipping and the belt to slip off the pulleys.

I replaced it with a belt from sears. The new belt is fabric covered.
When I let the tractor idle, the belt started smoking after less than
a minute. I had the brake pedal locked in the down postiion. I shut
it right down. The belt was threaded properly. The fabric covering had
burned off.

It was pretty cold and I had not driven it much before idling.

Note - The old belt was extremely loose. When the clutch was out
(drive engaged), the idler pulley was almost up against the frame.
With the new belt, there is about 1" clearance between the idler
pulley and the frame when engaged.

Questions.

1. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. are there any adjustments to the belt tension? I can't seem to find
any instructions.
3. Will the belt 'break in" where this problem goes away?

I'm guessing that the situation might correct itself as the belt gets
broken in. However I'm very hesitant to idle the tractor. This is a
pain if I have to plow snow as I need to warm it up before plowing. I
don't want to be flopping in wet snow at night when it's 20 degrees to
replace a burnt through belt. (I guess I'm getting soft in my old age)

thanks

Chris

Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"cgmsys" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

An interesting dilemma. I don't have a Sears LT1000 but I have several other
tractors. I have to admit I don't let them sit and warm-up like you do so I
don't remember that happening to me. I do know a very little size variation
can make a difference on some machines. I guess I'd check with Sears to make
sure they gave me the correct belt (length, width, & angle). But, like you
said, I would expect it to "wear in" fairly quick. I had one machine with a
double belt sytem - 2 identical, side by side. I bought one belt in one
store - the only one they had. And went to another store and got a belt
with the same dimensions. Put them on but the machine never ran right after
that.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"cgmsys" wrote in message
[...]

Belts are marked with a mold number that should be the same for multiple
belt drives.

Old 13-02-2007, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

UPDATE

I checked the belt layout and it was threaded correctly.

I ran the tractor around a bit, perhaps a half hour or so. It now
appears that the belt is OK when idling although I am keeping an eye
on it. I think it is possible that because the belt was in a box for a
while, it had taken a set and needed some run time to 'break in".

Chris

Old 17-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmsys View Post
UPDATE

I checked the belt layout and it was threaded correctly.

I ran the tractor around a bit, perhaps a half hour or so. It now
appears that the belt is OK when idling although I am keeping an eye
on it. I think it is possible that because the belt was in a box for a
while, it had taken a set and needed some run time to 'break in".

Chris

Check your front engine stack pulley for any rust pits or rubber glazing, This will cause a belt to smoke and wear a flat spot in it when left idling with the parking brake applied.
Also while it may not be advisable but disconnecting the seat switch and letting the engine idle in neutral with the clutch out will prolong belt life. Remember even with a smooth clean pulley it's constantly rubbing the belt with the clutch in and will cause a flat spot if left idling too long.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt

pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3, DJM-1000 mixer,numark CM100 club series DJ mixer for sale acc40 Gardening 0 19-06-2009 02:08 AM
Tied too tight :-( 'Mike' United Kingdom 0 12-04-2008 10:41 AM
idling problem Sully Ponds 0 25-12-2007 07:53 PM
How do you adjust ground drive belt tension on a Sears LT 1000? cgmsys Lawns 1 25-01-2007 03:52 PM