Old 18-03-2007, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Trouble taking apart transmission on Echo / Mantis tiller

I have a old Echo tiller with a worm-drive transmission that recently
wore out. After a couple hours in the shop and a couple more on
Google I still can't figure out how to take apart the transmission.

Over the last year I've developed a strong emotional attachment to the
tiller after saving it from the dump and nursing it back to health
However I can't bring myself to pay the shop $200 for a brand new
transmission. Upon inspection of the transmission it appears all I
have to do is replace the old worm gear with a new one and put the
washers and bearings back where I found them.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to disassemble the
transmission. The tine shaft seems to be held into place by a
bearing and on either side, but I can't pound or coerce the tine shaft
from the assembly (which seems to be the first step).

Thanks,
Chip

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/197...edimagehx3.png

complete manual: