Old 30-04-2007, 07:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default severe pruning of a big old forsythia

I have a grand old forsythia in my front yard as part of a large shrub
garden. It's 25 years old, and is now about a 12 foot radius
hemisphere. The problem is, it's getting so overgrown and "worn out"
that there is little new growth or bloom on it. I did some small
pruning two years ago which helped a little, but I think it's time for
something more drastic. And since pruning time is coming up, I'm here
for advice.

I know forsythias can take a licking and keep on ticking, so I'm
wondering how far I can cut out old growth on this one. It is a very
healthy plant with a good solid root system. I "think" I saw a
gardening show once that said you can basically cut the whole thing
off at a couple of inches above ground and, if the roots are healthy,
it will completely regrow as all new vibrant growth. Has anyone ever
tried that?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Andrew Duane wrote:
[...]

I take off 1/3 of the oldest stumps every Spring after blooming.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 30, 6:17 pm, Andrew Duane wrote:
[...]

If you really want to be drastic with this Forsythia - and it sounds
like you need to be - then cut the whole thing back to within say 18in
of the ground. In around 4-5 weeks it will start to shoot again, and
then you can better control it in subsequent years. (It will probably
get back up to around 3 feet during this first year after cutting
back.)
There is a pruning guide on here if you need it. www.gardenseeker.com
Regards
Data

Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 7, 9:26 am, Data wrote:
[...]

I was being lazy - here is the full url http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_shrubs.htm
It is at the bottom of the page.