Old 01-05-2007, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Does it harm a self propelled mower to be pulled back with the drive disengaged?

I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 1, 3:50 pm, wrote:
I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store
today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it
back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it
back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand,
and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click.
I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that
being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear
to be any resistance.

Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?

Brian

This is the first I've heard of this being "hard" on the mower. The
ones I've
had do have more resistance when pulled backward while disengaged,
compared to a regular mower, butI would expect that. Rather than
just
having 4 wheels that are free turning they have 2 that are connected
the part of the drive mechanism that is still there, whether
connected or not.
So, it's going to take a little more to get that moving.

If the self-propelled mowers were not designed to be used that way,
it would
be pretty stupid, because that's how they have to be used in most
applications.
Almost eveyone has areas, under trees for example, where you need to
do this.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

If the self-propelled mowers were not designed to be used that way,
it would be pretty stupid, because that's how they have to be used in most
applications.
Almost eveyone has areas, under trees for example, where you need to
do this.

While a self power mower might seem like a good idea, I think a much better
one is to get a lighter mower.

I had an old lawnboy, all plastic, that lasted years and was MUCH lighter
than any other mower I've ever had. Wish I could find another.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Noozer wrote:
If the self-propelled mowers were not designed to be used that way,
it would be pretty stupid, because that's how they have to be used in most
applications.
Almost eveyone has areas, under trees for example, where you need to
do this.

While a self power mower might seem like a good idea, I think a much better
one is to get a lighter mower.

I had an old lawnboy, all plastic, that lasted years and was MUCH lighter
than any other mower I've ever had. Wish I could find another.

They are history now. That lightweight 2 cycle engine could not pass the
new emission standards. It was a good one....

--
Art