GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Conflicting advice on levelling and turfing my lawn. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/157839-conflicting-advice-levelling-turfing-my-lawn.html)

williamrobb88 02-05-2007 11:09 AM

Conflicting advice on levelling and turfing my lawn.

Hi all

I have a garden that is about 20' by 35'. I have recently turned it with a rotorvator and have invited 3 different quotes. All 3 have said diferent things and quoted different prices. Here are some facts:

The garden slopes down from the back towards the house. The incline is not that great (A football would probably not roll down it)

Of the first quote I had, the gardener told me:

"You'll need about 3 ton of top soil to level it off. Then we'll put top quality turf down". I know this guy as a freind and he seems very nice and honest. Price is £550

2nd firm told me "You'll need a skip to get rid of a lot of that soil so we can get it level before we turf it". Price £350

3rd Guy (one man band) "It'll be £250 all in"

Why the difference in price?
Why does 1 firm want to add soil, and 1 take it away in a skip.

Please help. I'm confused.