GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ornamental grasses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/158376-ornamental-grasses.html)

ronald sullivan 10-05-2007 06:22 PM

ornamental grasses

My wife has some ornamental grass seed from her late brothers yard.Any one
know how to get it to grow? Try planting in a pot no luck.

Data 10-05-2007 08:01 PM

ornamental grasses

On 10 May, 18:22, "ronald sullivan" wrote:
My wife has some ornamental grass seed from her late brothers yard.Any one
know how to get it to grow? Try planting in a pot no luck.

A lot will depend upon the viability of the seed - It may have been
harvested before fully ripe etc. Suggest you simply scatter a few
seeds on top of the compost in a pot, and then enclose the pot in a
clear plastic bag - out of full sun If the seed is ok, then it should
sprout within a week.
A quicker test, is to put a few grains of the seed on some damp
blotting paper on a window sil. The seed should start to swell within
2-3 days. If it doesn't then there is a problem with the viability of
the seed.
Regards
Data

Eggs Zachtly 11-05-2007 01:09 AM

ornamental grasses

ronald sullivan said:

My wife has some ornamental grass seed from her late brothers yard.Any one
know how to get it to grow? Try planting in a pot no luck.

There are hundreds of ornamental grasses. What cultivar?

--

Eggs

I had amnesia once -- maybe twice.

Steveo 11-05-2007 01:39 AM

ornamental grasses

"ronald sullivan" wrote:
My wife has some ornamental grass seed from her late brothers yard.Any
one know how to get it to grow? Try planting in a pot no luck.

Was it dormant when you transplanted it?

Steveo 11-05-2007 01:42 AM

ornamental grasses

Steveo wrote:
"ronald sullivan" wrote:
My wife has some ornamental grass seed from her late brothers yard.Any
one know how to get it to grow? Try planting in a pot no luck.

Was it dormant when you transplanted it?

Oh sorry never mind. I've never grown it from seed. I have a lot of it but
it's all from splits.

Steveo 11-05-2007 02:03 AM

ornamental grasses

wrote:
ronald sullivan said:

My wife has some ornamental grass seed from her late brothers yard.Any
one know how to get it to grow? Try planting in a pot no luck.

There are hundreds of ornamental grasses. What cultivar?

Left handed. :)