GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Longer weed like grass growing through our lawn. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/158692-longer-weed-like-grass-growing-through-our-lawn.html)

[email protected] 16-05-2007 11:49 PM

Longer weed like grass growing through our lawn.

Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look
like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law
said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and
feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this
stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from
growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field.
Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like
wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things
that hang from tall grasses).

[email protected] 17-05-2007 12:44 PM

On May 16, 5:49 pm, wrote:
Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look
like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law
said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and
feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this
stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from
growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field.
Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like
wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things
that hang from tall grasses).

It's impossible to identify this without seeing it. It sounds like
an undesirable rough type of grass. The bad news is that for most of
these there is no selective herbicide for control. And even the ones
where one is available, you aren't gonna find it at the local garden
shop. If there is not a lot of it, best solution may be to mow, then
let this grow up as much as possible, then coat it with 5% Roundup,
using gloves and a sponge.

If you have a lot, then it's may be lawn renovation time, where you
kill everything off in Fall ans re-seed.

Willshak 17-05-2007 05:20 PM

wrote:
Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look
like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law
said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and
feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this
stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from
growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field.
Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like
wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things
that hang from tall grasses).

Here are pics of 8 common weeds with seed heads. See if one matches yours.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...920-3,00.html#

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Steveo 18-05-2007 12:16 AM

wrote:
Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look
like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law
said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and
feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this
stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from
growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field.
Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like
wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things
that hang from tall grasses).

Did you cover your new lawn with straw when it was planted?

Steveo 18-05-2007 02:19 AM

wrote:
Steveo said:

wrote:
Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look
like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law
said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and
feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this
stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from
growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field.
Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like
wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things
that hang from tall grasses).

Did you cover your new lawn with straw when it was planted?

My money's on Cyperus esculentus. =)

Oh man, a fast grower indeed!

Eggs Zachtly 18-05-2007 02:53 AM

Steveo said:

wrote:
Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look
like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law
said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and
feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this
stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from
growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field.
Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like
wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things
that hang from tall grasses).

Did you cover your new lawn with straw when it was planted?

My money's on Cyperus esculentus. =)

--

Eggs

A watched clock never boils.