Old 29-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Ross

Default Zoysia Grass

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago and
planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very well in
the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an idea how this
grass grows and looks..

"blubluh" wrote in message
Doug wrote in
news
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:39:47 GMT, "Ross" wrote:

Is zoysia grass that bad? Is there anyone in this newsgroup that has

Ross

I've neve had Zoysia grass, but I've always heard that once it takes
hold, it grows very thick and crowds out undesirable grasses and weeds
over time. Unfortunately, it's among the first to go dormant when the
weather cools and you get your first frost and also one of the last to
green up in the spring. So the growing season is short. Ask your
county extension office for an opinion.

I have zoysia in my front yard and I like it a lot. Yes, it does go

dormant
quickly, turning light brown like hay, but it also stands up to a beating,
high heat and little water.

Up here in the NE, we've had little rain this year and the grass turns
brown when it cannot grow, but within days after a rainfall, it pops back
to life.

I think that the weed crowding thing is a great feature, too.

For me, the downside is that to sod a lawn with Zoysia is far mnore
expensive than other strains of grass. Other than that, I'd choose it over
another strain any time!

Good luck with whatever you choose! :-)
--
Regards,
blubluh

Old 30-09-2002, 02:17 AM
Dave305

Ross wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago and
planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very well
in the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an idea how
this grass grows and looks..

One thing, it would be nice to check with the people next door (if any).
The people next to me reseeded their lawn with it and now it is making it's
way into my yard and I am none to happy with it/them.

--
Dave

Old 30-09-2002, 06:39 AM

Dave305 wrote:
Ross wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago
and planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very
well in the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an
idea how this grass grows and looks..

One thing, it would be nice to check with the people next door (if any).

The people next to me reseeded their lawn with it and now it is making
it's way into my yard and I am none to happy with it/them.

That's a very good point,Dave. Zoysia is very invasive,it's one of it's bad
points. Another bad point is it's real hard to kill,even with round-up.

Bad news if it's in you yard,uninvited..

--
God Bless America - http://members.aol.com/flyitproudly/flag.html

------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
Go#40 Usenet Newsgroup Service

Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 PM

Dave305 wrote:
Ross wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago
and planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very
well in the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an
idea how this grass grows and looks..

One thing, it would be nice to check with the people next door (if any).

The people next to me reseeded their lawn with it and now it is making
it's way into my yard and I am none to happy with it/them.

That's a very good point,Dave. Zoysia is very invasive,it's one of it's bad
points. Another bad point is it's real hard to kill,even with round-up.

Bad news if it's in you yard,uninvited..

--
God Bless America - http://members.aol.com/flyitproudly/flag.html

Go#40 Usenet Newsgroup Service

Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia? [email protected] Texas 20 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Amazoy (Zoysia) grass anyone? Ablang Gardening 16 21-03-2004 05:32 PM
Zoysia Grass Nathan staples Lawns 5 14-06-2003 11:45 AM
Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 06:32 PM
Zoysia grass Ablang Gardening 4 24-02-2003 04:15 PM