Old 14-05-2007, 06:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default when lawns' own seeds up, is that a good time to overseed?

I have noticed for the first time that my lawn is just starting to put out
its own seed. It has the asparagus looking shoots which break apart to
individual seeds. I have mowed it twice (weekly), and walk on it every day,
and just noticed it, so it is new. May 14, 2007, and its not yet
maintaining 15-26C in Toronto, which is the Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common
#1 recommended temperature range for overseeding, and filling patches from
seed bag. If I drew a graph with highs/lows the distribution is still way
into the cold! I am banking on this temp range as a major factor in the
success of my own seeding, and I am wondering if I can use the lawns own
seeds coming up as a sign that the time is right.

Can I use the lawns' own seed time as a guide to adding my own extra seeds
from a bag?
How long does the lawn do this for (days/weeks)?
Does it do this more than once per year?
Is it always the same number of times per year?
Is it always at the same time every year, or can weather play a major factor
(can I mark it on the calendar to do such and such each year)?

Old 14-05-2007, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"bent" wrote:
I have noticed for the first time that my lawn is just starting to put
out its own seed.

-snip-

Mowed grass? That's annual.

#1 recommended temperature range for overseeding, and filling patches from
seed bag. If I drew a graph with highs/lows the distribution is still way
into the cold! I am banking on this temp range as a major factor in the
success of my own seeding, and I am wondering if I can use the lawns own
seeds coming up as a sign that the time is right.

Can I use the lawns' own seed time as a guide to adding my own extra seeds
from a bag?
How long does the lawn do this for (days/weeks)?
Does it do this more than once per year?
Is it always the same number of times per year?
Is it always at the same time every year, or can weather play a major

factor
(can I mark it on the calendar to do such and such each year)?

if your lawn is seeding, why do you then want to overseed? I presume you
like the lawn you have? If there is a need to overseed some areas why not
simply let nature do it for you free of charge and effort?

My fescue & rye lawn seeds every spring. I simply let it go and notice good
new growth in areas that may be patchy or thin. I set the mower blades a
little higher so seed developing on the sides of the grass can continue and
just chop off the top growth. The lawn has done a nice job of overseeding
itself.

My fescue/rye mix seeded from early spring (temperate climate with some
winter frosts) and continued for 2 odd months.

rob

Old 15-05-2007, 06:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

whats do u know about Vista?

#1 recommended temperature range for overseeding, and filling patches
from seed bag. If I drew a graph with highs/lows the distribution is
[...]

You do understand what annual grass looks like, right George?