GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass spray to stunt growth? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/158715-grass-spray-stunt-growth.html)

[email protected] 17-05-2007 06:51 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

Does a chemical exist that one could spray on grass to
slow down its growth.... yet not kill it?

And can a consumer buy it?

[email protected] 17-05-2007 09:54 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

On May 17, 11:51 am, wrote:
Does a chemical exist that one could spray on grass to
slow down its growth.... yet not kill it?

What you're looking for is called a growth regulator. And yes, they
exist and are used to slow the growth of a variety of plants,
including turfgrass.

And can a consumer buy it?

I think you'll find that this stuff is sold in package quantities
suitable to golf courses and similar. Meaning it's going to come in a
minimum size big enough to do acres, with a price tag to match and
distributed through channels that serve those industries.

Data 17-05-2007 10:31 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

On 17 May, 17:51, wrote:
Does a chemical exist that one could spray on grass to
slow down its growth.... yet not kill it?

And can a consumer buy it?

The chemical used is normally Maleic Hydrazide. It can sometimes turn
finer grasses (Bents and fescues) brown, but this dose disappear after
a while.
You can stunt the growth for up to 6 weeks at a time. (Do a test patch
on your lawn first.
Regards
Data

RobRobinson 18-05-2007 03:11 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

I just pee on it

[email protected] 18-05-2007 06:29 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

Data wrote:

You can stunt the growth for up to 6 weeks at a time. (Do a test patch
on your lawn first.

thanks guys .... great info!

I'm cutting grass every day it seems like!! Want to
slow it down

Question tho.... is this stuff SAFE to the environment?

Willshak 18-05-2007 07:41 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

wrote:
Does a chemical exist that one could spray on grass to
slow down its growth.... yet not kill it?

And can a consumer buy it?

Most grass grows fastest in Spring and requires more frequent mowing. If
you use the growth retarder, it could retard the growth in the summer.
Remember this when you come back in the summer and ask why your grass
doesn't seem to be growing.
I mow with a garden tractor. In the spring, I mow twice a week and,
while the ground is still soft from Spring rains, I tow an aerator
behind the mower, so that the smaller amount of Summer rains sinks into
the ground to the roots, rather than stay on top. In the Summer, I may
only have to mow every other week, or in some drought Summers, once a
month, if at all.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Steveo 18-05-2007 11:49 PM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

wrote:
Data wrote:

You can stunt the growth for up to 6 weeks at a time. (Do a test patch
on your lawn first.

thanks guys .... great info!

I'm cutting grass every day it seems like!! Want to
slow it down

Question tho.... is this stuff SAFE to the environment?

Dunno, but it's great for the root system.

Eggs Zachtly 19-05-2007 01:32 AM

Grass spray to stunt growth?

willshak said:

Most grass grows fastest in Spring

Source?

Your blanket statement about grass is 100% wrong. It *all* depends on what
*kind* of grass it is.

[rest snipped]
--

Eggs

If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.