Old 20-05-2007, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help - Replacement Craftsman mower deck

Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25
years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find
out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie:
rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does
it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower? I'd
pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used decks
of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I have
already. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 20-05-2007, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Carley Simon wrote:
Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25
years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find
out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie:
rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does
it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower? I'd
pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used decks
of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I have
already. Thanks for any suggestions.

Try mower repair shops in your area or cruise for tossed out mowers on
garbage day.
Old 20-05-2007, 09:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Carley Simon" wrote in message
news5%3i.28503$g63.15908@edtnps82...
Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25
years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find
out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie:
rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does
it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower?
I'd pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used
decks of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I
have already. Thanks for any suggestions.

I haven't seen any decks for 25 yo Craftsman mowers for sale in here
recently - but then I wouldn't expect to. The last time I priced a
replacement deck for a Wheelhorse it was over $600 and that was 10 years
ago. So new mower is the economy way to go. "Craftsman" is a Sears brand -
why don't you ask them ? I doubt if they still list parts for a 25 yo
machine though.

Old 20-05-2007, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Carley Simon wrote:
Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25
years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find
out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie:
rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does
it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower? I'd
pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used decks
of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I have
already. Thanks for any suggestions.

Is this a walk behind, a rider, or a tractor? If it's a walk behind just
buy a new one. If it's a rider then it was probably made by Murray and
the deck shell should still be available. Probably cannot get the
complete assembly so you'd need to strip yours first to see what is
re-usable if anything. If you have the buy the shell, the spindle and
all the linkages and springs it can get a bit expensive. If it's a
tractor, well then ... I don't know.

Get the model number and call Sears. You might want to call twice,
dealing with Sears is like calling the IRS for tax advice. Sometimes you
get the right answer, sometimes you don't.

--
Art
Old 21-05-2007, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 20, 1:49 pm, Art wrote:
Carley Simon wrote:
Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25
years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find
out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie:
rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does
it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower? I'd
pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used decks
of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I have
already. Thanks for any suggestions.

Is this a walk behind, a rider, or a tractor? If it's a walk behind just

I used to live in the Catskills of New York State and used parts are
readily available up that way. You could also try looking at www.ebay.com
and type in lawn equiptment and see what is available. In New York's
Catskill region in the town of Liberty on Route 52 between Liberty and
Loch Sheldrake there is a small and I mean small tractor repair shop
and he sells used parts. Another small engine shop is Rogers small
engines I cannot recollect the address but you can find it in www.anywho.com
and type in either the name or subject which is small engines or
tractors. She has a back yard full of old tractors and perhaps she
will be what you need if you live near NY.

Old 21-05-2007, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Carley Simon" wrote in message
news5%3i.28503$g63.15908@edtnps82...
Hi:

Hoping that someone can offer a suggestion on this: I have an old (25
years?) Craftsman lawn mower - not sure the model but I think I can find
out. The mower runs like a top, but the deck is on it's last legs - ie:
rusting. Is there such a thing as new replacement decks available or does
it just not make sense because it would be cheaper to buy a new mower?
I'd pick up a used deck if I could find one, but I suspect that any used
decks of the vintage I'm looking for are in similar shape to the one I
have already. Thanks for any suggestions.

you could post a wanted ad at no cost on your local craigslist.com

Old 21-05-2007, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

. ..

it is actually www.craigslist.org