GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Repairing a lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/159053-repairing-lawn.html)

Tim 24-05-2007 11:44 AM

Repairing a lawn

The garden had been left to its own devices for a year and a half.
The lawn has become smothered with dandlions, really big ones, and
even doc leaves. We cut the lawn which has left big stems of
dandelions, i thought it best to try and take these out by the root
one by one. At the end of the lawn there are large bare patches with
no grass which i want to reseed. How would i go about this?
thanks for sharing!
tim

[email protected] 24-05-2007 01:51 PM

Repairing a lawn

On May 24, 5:44 am, Tim wrote:
The garden had been left to its own devices for a year and a half.
The lawn has become smothered with dandlions, really big ones, and
even doc leaves. We cut the lawn which has left big stems of
dandelions, i thought it best to try and take these out by the root
one by one. At the end of the lawn there are large bare patches with
no grass which i want to reseed. How would i go about this?
thanks for sharing!
tim

You don't tell us where you are located, which obviously makes a big
difference. Go after the weeds with spot treatment with a tank
sprayer using a herbicide suitable for turf. If you're in late
Spring already, I would wait till early Fall to reseed any large areas.

Tim 24-05-2007 06:05 PM

Repairing a lawn

You don't tell us where you are located, which obviously makes a big
difference.

Sorry you sometimes forget the web is a global community. Im
yorkshire UK its indeed spring and it has been pretty dry so far but
it usually is quite wet here

How would i reseed?

Peter Pan[_2_] 29-05-2007 01:34 AM

Repairing a lawn

What ever product you use to kill the dandelions the instructions will tell
you how long you need to wait before reseeding. To reseed, simply thatch
the soil to loosen it up and apply seed with starter fertilizer. If you have
a large area to seed, rent an core aerator. works real well

oups.com...