GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/1591-tomato-question.html)

C~ 17-10-2002 05:46 PM

Tomato question

I know that this is WAY early for next year but, I have heard that when you
plant tomato plants you should put some sort of lime in the hole and mix
with some dirt before planting the tomato. Does anyone know about this?
(I live West of Portland Oregon- if that makes a difference)

Thanks
C~

[email protected] 17-10-2002 07:28 PM

Tomato question

"C~" wrote:
I know that this is WAY early for next year but, I have heard that when

you plant tomato plants you should put some sort of lime in the hole and
mix with some dirt before planting the tomato. Does anyone know about
this? (I live West of Portland Oregon- if that makes a difference)

You'll need to do a soil test to find out what your PH is now. Tomatoes
vary in acidity needs,from a PH level of 5.5 to 7.5. Lime will raise to PH
level in your garden,so if you find yours is below 5.5,then yes you need
some lime.

If you find your PH level is above 7.5,adding lime would make the soil
worse for a tomato. That would be an alkaline soil condition,and you'd want
to add sulfur for that(rare). If you know which tomato you're going to
grow,see if you can find a PH requirement for it. That way you can adjust
your soil for its needs.

Anyway..your local garden center should have a home soil test kit,just
follow the instructions and report back. HTH

--
God Bless America - http://members.aol.com/flyitproudly/flag.html

go #40 Usenet Newsgroup Service