GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   dry lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/159209-dry-lawn.html)

larry d 27-05-2007 02:35 PM

dry lawn

I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered
once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this
just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and clay soil.
Watering extensively is too costly. Welcome any thoughts, thanks.

Steveo 27-05-2007 05:24 PM

dry lawn

(larry d) wrote:
--WebTV-Mail-24591-2921

--WebTV-Mail-24591-2921

htmlFont size=6/Font {}s,Font color="limegreen" Larry/font

--WebTV-Mail-24591-2921--

Shit can the html, webtv-tard.

Kyle Boatright 27-05-2007 11:53 PM

dry lawn

I'm in Atlanta and have the same issue, although my yard isn't as big as yours. I was out flying yesterday in the North Georgia/East TN/SW N. Carolina area and can tell you that I've never seen so many brown yards and fields as I saw during yesterday's flight. It is VERY dry...

My suggestion is to raise your mowing height to the top of the acceptable range for your fescue, but continue cutting every week. When you do water, water deeply - don't just dampen the soil, soak it.

Oh yeah. And hope for rain.

KB

"larry d" wrote in message ...
I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered
once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this
just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and clay soil.
Watering extensively is too costly. Welcome any thoughts, thanks.

{}s, Larry

Eggs Zachtly 28-05-2007 02:39 AM

dry lawn

Steveo said:

(larry d) wrote:
--WebTV-Mail-24591-2921

--WebTV-Mail-24591-2921

htmlFont size=6/Font {}s,Font color="limegreen" Larry/font

--WebTV-Mail-24591-2921--

Shit can the html, webtv-tard.

Their lawn's probably dry because it takes them so long to enter text into
their webtv, instead of a computer. There's no time left to water it. =)

I'm tellin' ya dood, k/f everything originating from webtv. It makes for
better reading. Same for G2. K/F googlegroup posts right off the bat, then
upscore the /very/ few that are worth reading.

--

Eggs

If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.

Eggs Zachtly 28-05-2007 02:40 AM

dry lawn

Kyle Boatright said:

[...]

Please don't post in HTML.

Thanks.
--

Eggs

-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

Dave 28-05-2007 06:24 AM

dry lawn

"larry d" wrote in message
I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered
once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this
just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and clay soil.
Watering extensively is too costly. Welcome any thoughts, thanks.

Larry

----------
Been watchin' the weather now for some time. Apparently the 3 year drought
conditions of Texas have moved east. Lakes have filled up, they're opening
the flood gates and making electricity again.

What I did during the drought period was mow the St. Augustine at the
highest level my push mower has for height. Water started getting scarce in
many wells, some were dry or near dry. I stopped watering the grass in
mid-August. Was watering every week to 2 weeks. I stopped mowing in hopes
that it would help keep more moisture content in the soil. Keep the grass
alive at the root level anyway. Grass appeared dead around late September.
Didn't start cooling off until late October here. Finally got some decent
rain in January, little in February, then has been very good since to date
for rain. Actually saw some mushrooms growing in a shaded area on some
soil covered with cedar (juniper ashe) leaves due to the excessive moisture.
St. Augustine, most rebounded and spreading again. Things looked gloomy for
grass and doubtful of its survival for awhile.

Just publishing this for folks that may be in for a long haul drought.

Dave

larry d 30-05-2007 01:35 PM

dry lawn

Thanks for the HTML advice.