Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default how much water is enough for new grass seeds

put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days ago.
I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag 15-26Celcius. It
was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those days, and the days it wasn't
and even those it was, I have watered it several times per day. Is this
neccesary, and how long should it take to come up? I have been able to keep
it moist (it has not dried out yet), but the bag says only "water daily".

Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"bent" wrote in
:

put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days
ago. I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag
15-26Celcius. It was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those days,
and the days it wasn't and even those it was, I have watered it
several times per day. Is this neccesary, and how long should it
take to come up? I have been able to keep it moist (it has not dried
out yet), but the bag says only "water daily".

News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Watering in morning and early evening, only about 10 minutes for seed. Any
more is a waste. Just have to keep it moist. When lawns are established,
you want to soak it, for maybe 1/2 hour or so. That would be the case if
you put sod down, but seeds do just fine for 10 minutes twice a day. It
should be up very soon. Is it a total renovation or just seed added to an
existing lawn? Also, you have to get the seed into the existing soil and
cover it with some compost (ie leafgrow). Just putting seed down without
working it in won't produce desired results.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 7, 2:46 pm, Steve wrote:
"bent" wrote :

put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days
ago. I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag
15-26Celcius. It was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those days,
and the days it wasn't and even those it was, I have watered it
several times per day. Is this neccesary, and how long should it
take to come up? I have been able to keep it moist (it has not dried
out yet), but the bag says only "water daily".

You need to water it enough so that it stays constantly damp. That
can mean noon and early evening in cool overcast weather, or every few
hours during the day if it's hot, windy and full sun. Which is why
Fall is the best time to seed, because the weather is on your side.
You can also use hydraulic mulch or a light dressing of peat moss to
help retain moisture. Bluegrass takes longer than most grasses to
germinate and establish. About 3 weeks to germinate is typical. You
don't need to water it deeply, just enough to keep the top of the soil
damp. AFter it germinates, slowly back off the frequency of the
watering, but increase the time so you water it deeper.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:45:17 -0400, "bent" wrote:

put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days ago.
I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag 15-26Celcius. It
was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those days, and the days it wasn't
and even those it was, I have watered it several times per day. Is this
neccesary, and how long should it take to come up? I have been able to keep
it moist (it has not dried out yet), but the bag says only "water daily".

A good farmer will dig up some seed and see if they are all spouting
properly.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"bent" wrote in message
put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days
ago. I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag
15-26Celcius. It was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those days, and
the days it wasn't and even those it was, I have watered it several times
per day. Is this neccesary, and how long should it take to come up? I
have been able to keep it moist (it has not dried out yet), but the bag
says only "water daily".

News==----
Newsgroups
=----