GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best concrete for setting locast posts ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/160169-best-concrete-setting-locast-posts.html)

James 16-06-2007 01:12 AM

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The posts
will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches
deep, and set the posts into concrete.

What is the best method, and type of concrete ? My thinking was to use
Quickcrete fast-setting concrete. With similar things in the past, I have
mixed the concrete with water, and poured the mix in and around the post.
But, it seems that I have heard that other folks just pour the dry power in
the hole around the post, and allow the moisture in the surrounding soil to
harden the mix. Others pour in dry, and then just add a modest amount of
water in the hole.

What is the preferred method ??

Thanks for any advice on this !!

James

Joe[_10_] 16-06-2007 01:58 AM

James wrote:
I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The posts
will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches
deep, and set the posts into concrete.

snip

Thanks for any advice on this !!

James

Your 18" post hole seems way too shallow for a fence. Better do some
more research on local conditions and methods and then worry about
concrete mix. Typically, some metal fence posts are 7' tall and 3'
into the ground. For a relatively short fence 2' would be a good
choice. YMMV

Joe

Steveo 16-06-2007 02:08 AM

Joe wrote:
James wrote:
I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The
posts will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18
inches deep, and set the posts into concrete.

snip

Thanks for any advice on this !!

James

Your 18" post hole seems way too shallow for a fence. Better do some
more research on local conditions and methods and then worry about
concrete mix. Typically, some metal fence posts are 7' tall and 3'
into the ground. For a relatively short fence 2' would be a good
choice. YMMV

Joe

True enough Joe. He didn't say where he lives, or frost considerations.

James 16-06-2007 02:29 AM

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

Let's please stick with the concrete question.... these posts will be 18
inches into the ground, and about 40 inches OUT of the ground. Split rails
will be placed across the posts. This is a simple three rail fence, not a
conventional fence with 6 foot posts.

Perhaps I led you wrong on the facts.

Thanks

James

dpb[_2_] 16-06-2007 02:47 AM

James wrote:
Let's please stick with the concrete question.... these posts will be 18
inches into the ground, and about 40 inches OUT of the ground. Split rails
will be placed across the posts. This is a simple three rail fence, not a
conventional fence with 6 foot posts.

Perhaps I led you wrong on the facts.

Still too short in the ground, concrete or no concrete...

In a few years they'll be laying over.

Art 16-06-2007 02:49 AM

James wrote:
I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The posts
will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches
deep, and set the posts into concrete.

What is the best method, and type of concrete ? My thinking was to use
Quickcrete fast-setting concrete. With similar things in the past, I have
mixed the concrete with water, and poured the mix in and around the post.
But, it seems that I have heard that other folks just pour the dry power in
the hole around the post, and allow the moisture in the surrounding soil to
harden the mix. Others pour in dry, and then just add a modest amount of
water in the hole.

What is the preferred method ??

Thanks for any advice on this !!

James

Just plain sand works great. The only posts that should be set in
concrete are the ones that need to support a gate.

--
Art

James 16-06-2007 03:08 AM

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

Nope, sorry. Gonna use concrete. My question relates to the best
concrete, and the method to plant them.

thanks !!

James

aemeijers 16-06-2007 03:48 AM

"Art" wrote in message
James wrote:
[...]

I would agree. But any set in concrete should not be set completely in
concrete- a couple inches of gravel in bottom, then post, then 1/3 or so of
the hole with tamped gravel, then concrete. Give the water a place to go,
instead of bottom of post always being wet. Locust takes awhile to rot, but
anything rots eventually.

aem sends...

gpsman 16-06-2007 03:57 AM

On Jun 15, 9:08 pm, "James" wrote:
Nope, sorry. Gonna use concrete. My question relates to the best
concrete, and the method to plant them.

The best concrete to set posts is none. A couple inches of gravel in
the bottom and ALL the dirt back in the hole is the "proper" method.

And 18" is too shallow; a waste of, time, effort, money -and- concrete
if you're still set on using it. 30" is minimum and probably code,
and 36" is better.

Locust is the best choice for the posts, but you'd be better off
setting them on fire rather than in concrete. Nothing lasts forever,
try digging out a post set in concrete. By the time you're finished
you'll have changed your mind, if you live through it.

The concrete mix doesn't matter, any one will rot your posts as well
as another.
-----

- gpsman

Big_Jake 16-06-2007 04:36 AM

On Jun 15, 9:57 pm, gpsman wrote:
On Jun 15, 9:08 pm, "James" wrote:

Nope, sorry. Gonna use concrete. My question relates to the best
concrete, and the method to plant them.

The best concrete to set posts is none. A couple inches of gravel in
the bottom and ALL the dirt back in the hole is the "proper" method.

And 18" is too shallow; a waste of, time, effort, money -and- concrete
if you're still set on using it. 30" is minimum and probably code,
and 36" is better.

Locust is the best choice for the posts, but you'd be better off
setting them on fire rather than in concrete. Nothing lasts forever,
try digging out a post set in concrete. By the time you're finished
you'll have changed your mind, if you live through it.

The concrete mix doesn't matter, any one will rot your posts as well
as another.
-----

- gpsman

I guess I will at least answer your question -

Most big home centers carry "post-set" concrete. You dig the hole,
put the post in (with space around it) fill the space around the post
with dry mix, add water, and mix it up by pushing a pc of rebar up and
down in the "soup". Sets quickly, works fine and is very convenient.

JK

Eggs Zachtly 16-06-2007 04:50 AM

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

James said:

Nope, sorry. Gonna use concrete. My question relates to the best
concrete, and the method to plant them.

Just curious, but when the wood rots away, how will you replace it? And,
you've been told (more than once) that the depth you've chosen isn't deep
enough, yet you insist on not heeding advice. You seem to have the answers,
so which one would you prefer to be told about the concrete?

--

Eggs

..sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?

Dave 16-06-2007 06:37 AM

"James" wrote in message

I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The
posts
will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches
deep, and set the posts into concrete.

What is the best method, and type of concrete ? My thinking was to use
Quickcrete fast-setting concrete. With similar things in the past, I have
mixed the concrete with water, and poured the mix in and around the post.
But, it seems that I have heard that other folks just pour the dry power
in
the hole around the post, and allow the moisture in the surrounding soil
harden the mix. Others pour in dry, and then just add a modest amount of
water in the hole.

What is the preferred method ??

Thanks for any advice on this !!

James

TX hill country. Fractured limestone is immediately below the soil. Only a
rock bar and alot of sweat, or, a diamond tipped auger can cut it. 18" is
typical depth for corner and tensioning posts on typical pasture fence.
Wood or steel posts.

Guess answers for this are kinda like gardening, depends on the
conditions... Sandy soil, clay, swamp, gravel, or rocky in your case.

I pre-mixed, wetter than usual, the concrete prior to pouring in the hole
with the post. Used rocks to stabilize the post during the pour, then fine
tuned the plumb after the pour. Set the corners first.
Dave

Abe 16-06-2007 11:14 AM

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The posts
will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches
deep, and set the posts into concrete.

What is the best method, and type of concrete ? My thinking was to use
Quickcrete fast-setting concrete. With similar things in the past, I have
mixed the concrete with water, and poured the mix in and around the post.
But, it seems that I have heard that other folks just pour the dry power in
the hole around the post, and allow the moisture in the surrounding soil to
harden the mix. Others pour in dry, and then just add a modest amount of
water in the hole.

If your posts are dimensional (4x4 or 6x6) the following process
worked well for me. If your posts are roundish, then simply set them
in the holes with a few inches of gravel in the bottom, and use
quickcrete (regular or quick setting - it's up to you.) that has been
mixed to a pretty thick consistency. Level the post in all directions
and cross-brace for 24 hours before adding attachments.

If using dimentional lumber, the way I did the posts all around my
house, is to:
1. String a centerline along the length of the fence run.
2. Dig the hole to desired depth (in my case, 24").
3. Insert 10" sonnet tube that has been cut to desired length/height.
4. Backfill, leveling the tube along the way.
5. Mix quickcrete (regular or quick setting - It's up to you.)
6. Fill the tube with mixed quickcrete.
7. Set post anchor according to the centerline.
8. After concrete is dry, test fit posts, mark holes, drill holes, and
bolt posts into post anchors.

The fence is now over 14 years old. No rot, no leaning.

[email protected] 16-06-2007 11:14 AM

Dave wrote:

TX hill country. Fractured limestone is immediately below the soil. Only a
rock bar and alot of sweat, or, a diamond tipped auger can cut it. 18" is
typical depth for corner and tensioning posts on typical pasture fence...

We might make a fence with no post holes, just stakes in the ground
for cables. Or use T-posts with diagonal corner bracing.

Nick

Bob 16-06-2007 11:37 AM

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

I guess I will at least answer your question -

Most big home centers carry "post-set" concrete. You dig the
hole,
put the post in (with space around it) fill the space around the
post
with dry mix, add water, and mix it up by pushing a pc of rebar up
and
down in the "soup". Sets quickly, works fine and is very
convenient.

JK

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree about putting dry mix in the
hole.
I have seen this done, but I have never seen it work well - fences
were always leaning within 3 or 4 months. It is not possible to
mix the concrete in the hole - there will always be dry pockets no
matter how much poking and prodding is done.

Mix your concrete in a wheelbarrow and pour it into the hole.

Bob-tx