Old 23-10-2002, 03:39 AM
kent

Default John Deere LX 176

I own a JD LX-176 that has thrown a rod in the 14hp Kawasaki engine. I
would like to know if anyone is able to tell me where to purchase a
replacement engine. The JD dealer wants over $1200 for a short block plus
$75 for the gasket kit not to mention LABOR. Does anyone have any
suggestions how to get this lawn tractor out of the garage and back on the
turf where it belongs? thanks in advance.

Kent

Old 23-10-2002, 03:51 AM

"kent" wrote:
I own a JD LX-176 that has thrown a rod in the 14hp Kawasaki engine. I

would like to know if anyone is able to tell me where to purchase a
replacement engine. The JD dealer wants over $1200 for a short block
plus $75 for the gasket kit not to mention LABOR. Does anyone have any
suggestions how to get this lawn tractor out of the garage and back on
the turf where it belongs? thanks in advance.

Kent

Does the X-17 mean 17 HP? Is it a side shaft?

--
God Bless America - http://members.aol.com/flyitproudly/flag.html

------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
go #40 Usenet Newsgroup Service

Old 23-10-2002, 06:34 AM
not me

As long as you don't mind going with a different brand of engine I am sure
you can get one in to fit, you would need to know the size of the crankshaft
& length (just the part that sticks out of the sump) and bolt pattern where
the engine mount to the frame. then maybe a few things of changing where the
fuel line is routed and throttle cable etc. Ask the dealer if they can
provide that option. I guess the cost of repairing a JD is not one of its
good point such as this case.

Old 23-10-2002, 04:17 PM

"kent" wrote:
no it is a 14 HP with a vert. shaft. do many riding mowers have a

horizonal shaft?

You can get a complete 15 hp Koehler for half that price.

Here's a link:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/kveng.cfm

Old 24-10-2002, 01:00 AM
kent

thanks for the in-puts my biggest problem with an engine other than the
original is that it is hard to find an electric start as I am too lazy to
pull start my rider. I am alredy having to pull start my walk mower and the
edge trimmer. I have looked at many other brands of engines and the
difficulty I am finding is the exhaust. The current chassis is made for the
exhaust to exit in the front of the tractor all other brands that I have
looked at exit to the side and I do not desire to cut the hood to allow this
to work. Has anyone made any modifications of this nature? This is turning
to a real winter project!

Old 24-10-2002, 01:24 AM
not me

Other brands may come with a muffler that will go out the side but there is
nothing saying you have to use their muffler. Normally when a tractor is
built they don't use mufflers from the engine manufacture. so my best advise
would be to try and retro fix the original muffler to fit the new engine
you may be able to do this one your own or with some help from a muffler
shop.

Old 06-12-2002, 07:52 AM
Ken Shelton

Sometimes Snapper dealers can get the Kaw engines a little cheaper.

Ken Shelton

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8825968

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered User

Have you tried www.smallplantbreakers.com they have many used good parts.
If not there phone them as i collect bits and bobs from there and there is alot not listed yet.