Old 25-06-2007, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Getting rid of Crab Grass

Peter Pan said:

Why not seed? He said he wanted to rid his yard of Crab grass, one of the
best ways to prevent Crab grass from growing is to have a thick lawn..
the
only way to have a thick lawn is to seed your yard.. And when is the best
time to seed? (wait for it.....) yes that's right, when temps are
between
60 - 80 degrees... and what time of year is that? ... wait for it......
spring and fall..
Thanks for playing, see you next time...

It's summer, dumbass.

Summer now? Really.. Did you discover that all on your own or did someone
have to tell you it was summer?

Plant you seed in the Summer and watch it NOT grow.. If it's too hot, the
seed will not germinate, that's why most seed tells you right on the side of
the bag, plant when temps are 60 - 80 degrees.

You're Bent's cousin, aren't you?

And the temps should remain
in that general range for 4 - 6 weeks to allow it to germinate. So once
again genius, Fall and Spring.. If you want to **** your money away go right
a head,

So, are you telling the OP to seed, or not? It seems you're now putting up
a defense for /both/ sides.

--
Eggs

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Old 25-06-2007, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

WOW! Lots of response... Thank you.

I've been gone for a few days, sorry for the delay. I have posted 3
pics of the grass, although I don't know if you'll be able to figure
it out as to what it is:

1. www.moneytime.ca/grass-1.jpg
2. www.moneytime.ca/grass-2.jpg
3. www.moneytime.ca/grass-3.jpg

If someone can help first identify and secondly provide a cure, I
would appreciate it.

NOTE: I am located around the Hamilton/Toronto, Ontario (Canada) area
- So, in the summer when the igloo melts is when I'm concerned about
the grass. )

Old 26-06-2007, 02:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 25, 4:45 pm, Jim wrote:
WOW! Lots of response... Thank you.

I've been gone for a few days, sorry for the delay. I have posted 3
pics of the grass, although I don't know if you'll be able to figure
it out as to what it is:

1. www.moneytime.ca/grass-1.jpg
2. www.moneytime.ca/grass-2.jpg
3. www.moneytime.ca/grass-3.jpg

If someone can help first identify and secondly provide a cure, I
would appreciate it.

NOTE: I am located around the Hamilton/Toronto, Ontario (Canada) area
- So, in the summer when the igloo melts is when I'm concerned about
the grass. )

It's not crabgrass from what I can see. As I posted earleir, here
in NJ crabgrass is still small plants, so in your area, it should be
even less noticeable. And crabgrass looks like a crab, ie, the
grass grows more outward and close to the ground. What you have
appears to be some other type of grass like weed.

And that's the bad news. Because if it is some type of grass, then
it's doubtful there is an effective selective herbicide. It looks
like you're letting this grow up to seed which is a mistake, as if you
let it develop seed, that just develops more of it. And where is the
turf grass? From what I can see, there isn't much.

If you want to get rid of it, I think you're going to have to get it
identified, as I doubt the typical general purpose products will
work. Given the overall look of this, I'm starting to agree with
Peter Pan that a lot more work may be in order. Given that you have
so much of this, and not much decent grass that is apparent, I'd
probably do nothing till late August. Then do a renovation. Kill off
everything with Roundup, aerate, then re-seed with a quality seed of
the right type using a slice seeder.

Old 27-06-2007, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim wrote:
WOW! Lots of response... Thank you.

I've been gone for a few days, sorry for the delay. I have posted 3
pics of the grass, although I don't know if you'll be able to figure
it out as to what it is:

1. www.moneytime.ca/grass-1.jpg
2. www.moneytime.ca/grass-2.jpg
3. www.moneytime.ca/grass-3.jpg

If someone can help first identify and secondly provide a cure, I
would appreciate it.

NOTE: I am located around the Hamilton/Toronto, Ontario (Canada) area
- So, in the summer when the igloo melts is when I'm concerned about
the grass. )

It's not crabgrass. It's hard to tell from those pics just what it is.

Is it a newer lawn? (less than two or three years old?)

--
http://newsreader.com/
Old 28-06-2007, 01:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 27, 4:33 pm, Steveo wrote:
Jim wrote:
WOW! Lots of response... Thank you.

I've been gone for a few days, sorry for the delay. I have posted 3
pics of the grass, although I don't know if you'll be able to figure
it out as to what it is:

1. www.moneytime.ca/grass-1.jpg
2. www.moneytime.ca/grass-2.jpg
3. www.moneytime.ca/grass-3.jpg

If someone can help first identify and secondly provide a cure, I
would appreciate it.

NOTE: I am located around the Hamilton/Toronto, Ontario (Canada) area
- So, in the summer when the igloo melts is when I'm concerned about
the grass. )

It's not crabgrass. It's hard to tell from those pics just what it is.

Is it a newer lawn? (less than two or three years old?)

--
http://newsreader.com/

It is more than two but less than 3.

I've just got my lawn mower fixed and now it looks like a proper lawn
again but there are patches of broad leaf grasses that grow faster
than the rest of the lawn. It's these thick patches that I am
referring to as crab grass. The patches scattered throughout the lawn
kind of look lit something that you would see on a cartoon.

Some of my neighbours have the same thing so I will try and find a
patch of it and take another pic. My wife took the pics that I
already posted and they don't show it very well.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 28, 8:28 am, Jim wrote:
On Jun 27, 4:33 pm, Steveo wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

okay... Sorry for the delay in posting back but I had to wait for my
lawn to start to grow back so that you can see my problem. I took a
really good picture so that you can see what the "crab grass" (or
whatever it is) looks like. Could someone please diagnose the problem
and let me know the treatment to use?

http://www.moneytime.ca/grass-4.jpg
Thanks,
Jim

Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:57:59 -0700, Jim
wrote:

okay... Sorry for the delay in posting back but I had to wait for my
lawn to start to grow back so that you can see my problem. I took a
really good picture so that you can see what the "crab grass" (or
whatever it is) looks like. Could someone please diagnose the problem
and let me know the treatment to use?

http://www.moneytime.ca/grass-4.jpg
Thanks,
Jim

I have no idea, but since I have it also, I'll see what folks tell
you.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dgk wrote on 10 Jul 2007 in group
alt.home.lawn.garden:

wrote:
okay... Sorry for the delay in posting back but I had to wait for my
lawn to start to grow back so that you can see my problem. I took a
really good picture so that you can see what the "crab grass" (or
whatever it is) looks like. Could someone please diagnose the problem
and let me know the treatment to use?
Thanks,
Jim

I have no idea, but since I have it also, I'll see what folks tell
you.

Well, it isn't crabgrass. I get a lot of that in my yard. I've wondered
exactly what it is, but never took a sample to the nursery to get a
definitive answer.

Don't let it go to seed. It pulls pretty easily, and it doesn't come
back.

If you don't want to pull it, kill it with a grassy weed killer.
1. Let it get taller than the good grass.
2. Wrap a cloth TIGHTLY around a garden rake.
3. Dip the cloth in full-strength weed killer (I think I used RoundUp).
Make sure it doesn't drip.
4. Wipe the cloth back and forth over the taller grass you want to kill.

Warnings: RoundUp kills almost everything. Don't get it where you don't
want it. Don't let the weed killer drip.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim wrote on 11 Jul 2007 in group
alt.home.lawn.garden:

wrote:
[...]

You're welcome. Let us know how things work out.

By the way, wear rubber gloves.

Wait a week or two, then apply the weed killer again. It's not possible
to get it on evenly or heavily enough with this technique to kill
everything in the first pass. Heck, RoundUp doesn't even work that well
when applied according to the label -- it always takes several
applications.

You can use a similar technique in flower beds with a cotton glove. This
one works better because you can work your fingers better than you can
work a rake. Be sure to wear a rubber glove under the cotton glove.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[...]

Why?

Wait a week or two, then apply the weed killer again. It's not possible
to get it on evenly or heavily enough with this technique to kill
everything in the first pass. Heck, RoundUp doesn't even work that well
when applied according to the label -- it always takes several
applications.

You can use a similar technique in flower beds with a cotton glove. This
one works better because you can work your fingers better than you can
work a rake. Be sure to wear a rubber glove under the cotton glove.

Again, why? Are you made of plant material?

And, why slop it on with a rag tied on a rake? A paintbrush would be much
more efficient than a rag tied to a rake. How are you going to keep a
soaked rag from dripping all over everything surrounding the plant in
question? That's one of the most rediculous methods of applying a herbicide
that I've ever heard of.

Also, why go right to a non-selective herbicide in the first place? A
better avenue would be to identify the weed, and find a selective herbicide
that will knock it back. Glyphosate is *so* over-used by homeowners, when
2,4-D would be a better choice.

--

Eggs

How can there be self-help "groups"?