Old 20-06-2007, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Getting rid of Crab Grass

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can please help me.

I moved into my house about 2 years ago and I have been trying to keep
my lawn beautiful but I have not been that successfull. I'm starting
to figure it out now but over the last couple of years Crab Grass has
managed to go all over the place.

If I let my grass go with out cutting it for a couple of weeks it
starts showing. Little bits of crab grass grow fast and they are
scattered throughout the lawn just enough to make it ugly.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the crab grass please?

Old 21-06-2007, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim wrote:
snip
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the crab grass please?

Hello Jim

Can you post a pic of it? (not to this NG) but to a free server like
tinypic.com

Are you sure it's crabgrass?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 22-06-2007, 03:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Regardless of what you are growing, to get rid of it wont be too difficult.
It's a little late in the season to drop seed but what you can do is take a
sample of what is in your yard. The do a google search for LESCO and see
where your local dealer is. Take said sample to him and say " hey. I got
this, please help me get rid of it" or something to that effect. He will
then give you a bag of something to kill what you have. Then in the fall..
you will need to aerate your yard as well as seed and starter fertilizer. In
the spring, you will aerate and drop more seed.. Like I said it's a little
late in the season, seed germinates at temps between 60 - 80 F I like it a
little cooler myself..
ALSO: there is a difference between crab grass and other weeds that grow in
your lawn. Just because it's not grass, doesn't make it crab grass. There
are other nuisance weeds that grow such as clovers, chick weed ect. That's
why it's somewhat important to I.D. before you put any product down, you
want to enssure that what you buying will rid your yard of what you have.
First things first: post a pic of your problem to help I.D. it

"Steveo" wrote in message
snip

Old 22-06-2007, 04:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Peter Pan wrote:

[....]
sample of what is in your yard. The do a google search for LESCO

[....]

emphatic yea for LESCO

http://www.lesco.com/
Old 23-06-2007, 04:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 21, 9:56 pm, "Peter Pan" wrote:
Regardless of what you are growing, to get rid of it wont be too difficult.

Well, depending on what it is, it may be difficult to get rid of
without killing the desirable grass. Suppose it's poa trivialis or
similar? There are plenty of obnoxious weed type grasses that are
difficult or impossible to eliminate with selective herbicides.

It's a little late in the season to drop seed but what you can do is take a
sample of what is in your yard. The do a google search for LESCO and see
where your local dealer is. Take said sample to him and say " hey. I got
this, please help me get rid of it" or something to that effect. He will
then give you a bag of something to kill what you have. Then in the fall..
you will need to aerate your yard as well as seed and starter fertilizer. In
the spring, you will aerate and drop more seed.. Like I said it's a little
late in the season, seed germinates at temps between 60 - 80 F I like it a
little cooler myself..

Geez, the guy just said he wants to get rid of some weed. That
doesn't mean he needs to do a double lawn renovation.

ALSO: there is a difference between crab grass and other weeds that grow in
your lawn. Just because it's not grass, doesn't make it crab grass. There
are other nuisance weeds that grow such as clovers, chick weed ect. That's
why it's somewhat important to I.D. before you put any product down, you
want to enssure that what you buying will rid your yard of what you have.
First things first: post a pic of your problem to help I.D. it

Well, yes and no. I agree it's good to know what the weed is, but
taking a sample somewhere for identification isn't always
practical. The popular broadleaf weedkillers readily available kill
most types of broadleaf weeds. And it's needed at times on all lawns
anyway to control one weed or another. He could buy some and try it
on a test spot. Note: It doesn't kill crabgrass, but I doubt that is
what he has.

"Steveo" wrote in message

snip

http://NewsReader.Com/- Hide quoted text -

Old 23-06-2007, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 23, 12:07 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
said:

[...]

Note: It doesn't kill crabgrass, but I doubt that is
what he has.

Why? I've seen both smooth and large crabgrass all over the place, and it's
readily identifiable by /most/ homeowners. As hot as it's been across the
country, this early, it may be a good bet that their ID is positive. Just
curious as to why you doubt their ID. =)

--

Eggs

Well, we don't know where Jim is located, so if he's someplace warmer,
I guess he could have a noticeable crabgrass problem. But here in
NJ, which is I'd say middle of the road as far as summer temp, it
doesn't become a problem that people usually notice and start asking
questions about until a month from now. Plus he said something about
it becoming noticeable if he lets his grass grow for a couple of
weeks, which implies it's been around already for weeks. Which lead
me to think it's more likely something else, but without a pic who
knows.

Old 24-06-2007, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

said:

On Jun 23, 12:07 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
said:

[...]

Note: It doesn't kill crabgrass, but I doubt that is
what he has.

Why? I've seen both smooth and large crabgrass all over the place, and it's
readily identifiable by /most/ homeowners. As hot as it's been across the
country, this early, it may be a good bet that their ID is positive. Just
curious as to why you doubt their ID. =)

[borked G2 quoting snipped] =P

Well, we don't know where Jim is located, so if he's someplace warmer,
I guess he could have a noticeable crabgrass problem. But here in
NJ, which is I'd say middle of the road as far as summer temp, it
doesn't become a problem that people usually notice and start asking
questions about until a month from now. Plus he said something about
it becoming noticeable if he lets his grass grow for a couple of
weeks, which implies it's been around already for weeks. Which lead
me to think it's more likely something else, but without a pic who
knows.

Got ya, makes sense.

I'm in 5b/6a, and it's been in the 90's for about a month, which shouldn't
be happening for about another month. My understanding is the weather has
been similar over /most/ of the rest of the country, hence my question. I'm
not used to seeing it (crabgrass) this early, but as I said, it's been
everywhere, so their ID seemed quite plausible. A pic [1] and location [2]
information, would be nice.

[1] I didn't see the original post, only subsequent followups. Checking All
Messages, shows they apparently made one further posts, but not to this
thread (starting a new thread, sigh), and left no clue to whom they were
replying (absolutely no quoting nor references header, sigh). Timestamps
suggest Steveo, and a reference to taking a pic?

[2] A trace of the NNTP Posting Host header has them somewhere north of the
border (Brantford, Ontario, maybe?). You may be correct. =) Also in your
favor, is their lack of ability to keep the thread together, even on their
first reply. These problems, coupled with the fact that they use G2, means
they most likely can't identify crabgrass. =P

--

Eggs

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
Old 24-06-2007, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why not seed? He said he wanted to rid his yard of Crab grass, one of the
best ways to prevent Crab grass from growing is to have a thick lawn.. the
only way to have a thick lawn is to seed your yard.. And when is the best
time to seed? (wait for it.....) yes that's right, when temps are between
60 - 80 degrees... and what time of year is that? ... wait for it......
spring and fall..
Thanks for playing, see you next time...

Old 24-06-2007, 09:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's summer, dumbass.

--

Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in newsgroups?

Old 24-06-2007, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Why not seed? He said he wanted to rid his yard of Crab grass, one of the
best ways to prevent Crab grass from growing is to have a thick lawn..
the
only way to have a thick lawn is to seed your yard.. And when is the best
time to seed? (wait for it.....) yes that's right, when temps are
between
60 - 80 degrees... and what time of year is that? ... wait for it......
spring and fall..
Thanks for playing, see you next time...

It's summer, dumbass.

Summer now? Really.. Did you discover that all on your own or did someone
have to tell you it was summer?

Plant you seed in the Summer and watch it NOT grow.. If it's too hot, the
seed will not germinate, that's why most seed tells you right on the side of
the bag, plant when temps are 60 - 80 degrees. And the temps should remain
in that general range for 4 - 6 weeks to allow it to germinate. So once
again genius, Fall and Spring.. If you want to **** your money away go right
a head,

Old 24-06-2007, 11:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Peter Pan said:

[...]

You're Bent's cousin, aren't you?

And the temps should remain
in that general range for 4 - 6 weeks to allow it to germinate. So once
again genius, Fall and Spring.. If you want to **** your money away go
right
a head,

So, are you telling the OP to seed, or not? It seems you're now putting up
a defense for /both/ sides.

I am telling the OP to seed in the Fall, kill what he has now.. but seed
when the weather is cooler..

Old 24-06-2007, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 24, 6:08 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Peter Pan said:

[...]

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.- Hide quoted text -

Peter actually did say to seed in the Fall. And again in the spring,
and to aerate, and God knows what else. Which, per my previous post,
isn't required if the guy just has some crabgrass or other weed in an
otherwise OK lawn. If the lawn is thin or has thatch or some other
problem, then I can see seeding, aerating, etc. But to suggest this
is necessary just because the guy has some crabgrass doesn't make
sense.

Old 24-06-2007, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

[...]

sense.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, and I forgot to mention, re Peter. Funny how in all the advice
to the guy to re-seed his lawn twice to get rid of crabgrass, he never
mentioned putting down pre-emergent in Spring, which is the most
obvious and practical step.

Old 24-06-2007, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...

Peter Pan said:

[...]

Thank you Trader for mentioning the Pre-emergent. I did forget that.. Duhh
on my part. But.. I still stand by having a thick lawn is a good way to
prevent crab grass from growing. There is more then one way to skin a cat,
more then one way to get rid of crab grass