Old 27-10-2002, 04:00 PM
notme

Default Battery Operated Weed Wacker

yes

Old 27-10-2002, 08:59 PM
Aladdin Sane

yes

Ok, I have an answer. Now can anyone give me a rational as to why it is
best to keep the battery charged rather than to drain it and store it
uncharged? Is it better for the battery? What happens if I don't keep it
charged?

*
/?\
/___\
-O=O-
^
AS & His Magic Hat

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old 27-10-2002, 09:06 PM

"Aladdin Sane" wrote:
yes

Ok, I have an answer. Now can anyone give me a rational as to why it is

best to keep the battery charged rather than to drain it and store it
uncharged? Is it better for the battery? What happens if I don't keep
it charged?

I'll take a stab at it..inactivity is not good for any type of battery,
hopefully your charger has a monitor that will just keep the cells active
during the off season.

You did mention that the manual suggests leaving it plugged in..

--
Don't crush em..restore em..
------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
Old 28-10-2002, 02:37 AM
notme

with the ni-cad battery (that is what most rechargeable battery are) if left
drained for a extending period of time it will shorten the life of the
battery or have the battery fail all together. the best way to store any
battery is fully charged. That is just the way batteries are. it is best to
follow the instruction that came with the unit to get the longest battery
life, not doing so will result in a shorter battery life.

Old 29-10-2002, 06:24 AM
Tim Fischer

"Aladdin Sane" wrote in message
newsbJu9.113959$md1.23703@sccrnsc03...
I purchased a battery operated weed eater this past summer.

Do those things actually work now? I used one for a summer maybe 20 years
ago and they weren't good for anything except maybe getting the bit of grass
alongside the sidewalk. It had like a 10" cutting width and a single, very
thin line. Any kind of weeds at all would cause the thing to jam, and it
had maybe a 20-minute run time, after which it required a 24-hour charge.

I hope they're better now, but i don't think I'll be trading in my gas
powered trimmer anytime soon...

-Tim

Old 29-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Aladdin Sane

Do those things actually work now? I used one for a summer maybe 20 years
ago and they weren't good for anything except maybe getting the bit of

grass
alongside the sidewalk. It had like a 10" cutting width and a single,

very
thin line. Any kind of weeds at all would cause the thing to jam, and it
had maybe a 20-minute run time, after which it required a 24-hour charge.

I hope they're better now, but i don't think I'll be trading in my gas
powered trimmer anytime soon...

-Tim

Well, mine has a more than 20 min run time, supposed to be able to do half
an acre. Don't have that much yard to test that. Also, my primary use is
to trim grass along the edge of stone walls where I cant get my mower into.
Don't have any real weed sections to deal with.

--
*
/?\

Old 30-10-2002, 03:18 PM
notme

well it is simple as soon as you unplug your batteries it will start to
discharge thus it is constantly being emptied, when the battery is fully
charged the charger should go into trickle mode and keep it topped up.

Old 30-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Tim Fischer

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message
Why put in
fuel when ya can't put in more fuel?

Two reasons:

1) The OP said the owner's manual said to. Don't you think the manufacturer
knows their product? I suppose they could be "in bed with" the electric
utilities, lol.

2) Unlike the fuel in your car, a battery, particularly a Ni-Cad, will
discharge while just sitting there. Ni-cad's actually have a pretty
pathetic shelf life. The battery will thus quickly discharge while in
storage, and this is bad for ni-cads.

-Tim

Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 PM
notme