GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   String trimmer string breaks too often (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/161094-string-trimmer-string-breaks-too-often.html)

Robert Reznikoff 01-07-2007 07:35 PM

String trimmer string breaks too often

I've read previous advice about using only the tip end of the string for
trimming. I try to do that, but most of my trimming are weeds that grow
next to a fence. I have gone from a .80 string to 1.15 string with no better
results. Is there a more pliable string that doesn't break so easily. I
seem to spend more time replacing the string than I do trimming!

CWatters 01-07-2007 07:42 PM

"Robert Reznikoff" wrote in message
I've read previous advice about using only the tip end of the string for
trimming. I try to do that, but most of my trimming are weeds that grow
next to a fence. I have gone from a .80 string to 1.15 string with no

better
results. Is there a more pliable string that doesn't break so easily. I
seem to spend more time replacing the string than I do trimming!

Get a strimmer that feeds string at the push of a button. Buy generic string
and rewind your own reels.

I guess someone might make string out of kevlar but I haven't seen any.
Would be expensive as well.

Tom J 01-07-2007 08:15 PM

Robert Reznikoff wrote:
I've read previous advice about using only the tip end of the string
for trimming. I try to do that, but most of my trimming are weeds
that grow next to a fence. I have gone from a .80 string to 1.15
string with no better results. Is there a more pliable string that
doesn't break so easily. I seem to spend more time replacing the
string than I do trimming!

When I use my string trimmer next to the fence or next to the concrete
curb, it eats it up fast also. I just make sure I'm running more
string out so it doesn't get any shorter than avout 4 inches. It's a
lot easier to keep it run out than to take the head apart and
re-thread. There are adapter heads to put blades or chain trimers on.

Tom J

Art 02-07-2007 03:23 PM

Robert Reznikoff wrote:
I've read previous advice about using only the tip end of the string for
trimming. I try to do that, but most of my trimming are weeds that grow
next to a fence. I have gone from a .80 string to 1.15 string with no better
results. Is there a more pliable string that doesn't break so easily. I
seem to spend more time replacing the string than I do trimming!

That would be .080 to .115 sizes. Those numbers are decimal inches.

You might try soaking the line in water for 24 hours or so. The
copolymers used in trimmer line have a high water content and as the
line dries it will become more brittle. Better quality line should fray
and split at the ends instead of breaking off in pieces.

--
Art