Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

Default Looking for experienced person with Scag

I have been evaluating mowers for the last three weeks and have
found a lot of info' about various brands, some good but a lot not
so good.

I thought I was interested in a Cub Cadet zero turn with a steering
wheel instead of two handle bars. After reading and looking at
them, this is out for me - deck quite flimsy, poorly built. I
think, but may be wrong, that it is made by MTD, which is generally
a cheaply built machine, but not too bad for the price.

So far, the Scag Freedom Z has caught my attention. Very pricy at
$5300, but certainly well built, convenient controls and something
that should last me for the rest of my life (I'm 73).

I'd like to hear from those who have a Scag and particularly the
Freedom Z model. I'd appreciate your comments - good or bad, as
well as other comments.

Thanks in advance, Bob-tx

Old 07-07-2007, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob said:

I have been evaluating mowers for the last three weeks and have
found a lot of info' about various brands, some good but a lot not
so good.

I thought I was interested in a Cub Cadet zero turn with a steering
wheel instead of two handle bars. After reading and looking at
them, this is out for me - deck quite flimsy, poorly built. I
think, but may be wrong, that it is made by MTD, which is generally
a cheaply built machine, but not too bad for the price.

MTD makes CubCadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man, White Outdoor, CubCadet
Commercial, Yard Machines, GardenWay, Ryobi, and Bolens (and probably a few
others).

So far, the Scag Freedom Z has caught my attention. Very pricy at
$5300, but certainly well built, convenient controls and something
that should last me for the rest of my life (I'm 73).

Price doesn't necessarily mean longevity, but you probably know that better
than I.

I'd like to hear from those who have a Scag and particularly the
Freedom Z model. I'd appreciate your comments - good or bad, as
well as other comments.

Sorry, I can't help with the Scag, as I've no experience with it. Something
else to consider, though:

We've been testing some ZTR mowers at work, all commercial models and well
above the price of the Scag you're looking at. So far, most everyone has
been impressed with them with the exception of one detail: the inside
wheel, during turns. If you don't do it "just right", it can leave a pretty
good mark (even tearing turf). I realize that most of that issue is due to
the rider's inexperience with a ZTR mower, but there's not a lot of places
to practice them at a country club, not to mention a lot of time. I've a
feeling we're going to be replacing our 48" walk behind's with 400 Series
Grasshoppers. If you want 'solid', it's definately the brand for you. They
have "entry level" mowers (20 HP, 41" Deck) starting at $4995. The decks
are as heavy-gauge as I've ever seen on a mower. The engines are quiet and
smooth, and will cut about 7 acres an hour. That ain't bad. =)

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/

HTH
--

Eggs

My weight is perfect for my height.... which varies.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[...]

The company I worked for sold Grasshoppers for about 3 years before we
got away from them. We had too many of the same problems over and over.
The frame welds were breaking, electric clutches were pure crap,
constant electrical system problems. Grasshopper's warranty dept denied
a good will request for warranty on a machine that the frame literally
broke in half because of defective welds. It was 1 month out of warranty
and the factory even admitted the welds were defective. That was the
beginning of the end. If you have not yet purchased Grasshoppers, might
I suggest you take a look at the Hustler line? IMO a better machine and
far more customer oriented company.

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/

--
Art
Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[...]

I'll pass that along Art, thanks.

Out of curiosity, were the machines in question the 400 series? Or, do you
remember? Those decks were pretty heavy gauge, and the welds, likewise. I
haven't seen any of the 100 series machines (home use).

--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[...]

We didn't carry the homeowner series and I can't remember what series
they were but they ranged from about $4000 to a diesel unit that was a
little over $10,000. It was the welds on the frames of the machines that
were breaking not the decks. As I remember it the decks were the most
trouble free part. One of our mechanics commented once that the decks
last forever because you can't keep the machine out in the field cutting.

--
Art

Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[...]

LOL

I'll also pass that along. Thanks! =)

--

Eggs

Is it possible to be totally partial?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Have you looked at a Dixie Chopper/ That would be my choice.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 07-07-2007, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
Have you looked at a Dixie Chopper/ That would be my choice.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Never heard of it. More details please.
Bob-tx

Old 21-07-2007, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Cub Cadet makes a very good zero turn with the lap bars. It is the
Z-Force. Don't get the RZT. It is cheaply built.
The Z-Force is designed as a heavy duty homeowners mower. tubular steel
frame. Tubular steel swivel front tire mount. The lap bars are pretty
easy to get used to and I recommend it. For under $4000 you can get what
is very nearly a commercial mower. I have one with 400 hours on it and
it is still going strong. The 20 hp Briggs just keeps running and running.