Old 11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Hungary
Default Help needed in preparing soil for turf

Hello everyone, I am new to your group and I have a big problem.
I moved from the UK 4 years ago to live in Hungary, had a house built and the builders, (bless them) destroyed the garden by putting all the excavated earth over the top soil so I have been left with a plot of lifeless soil.
I want to lay turf over a large part of the plot. Please can anyone tell me how I should prepare the ground so that the turf does not die?
Do I need to replace the lifeless soil with new top soil and if so how deep or will just putting a fertiliser on the existing soil be sufficient?
I know this is a group based the UK but gardening is not much different here – perhaps a bit more sunshine and a few plants that thrive in the sun - but the majority of the plants are the same as in England.
My experience of lawns so far has been just to mow them so all this is new to me.
Many thanks in anticipation of any help.
Jaybee

Preparing clay for turf Helen J Lawns 3 27-02-2010 03:19 PM
Novice needs advice-Preparing soil for turf Noviceatlawns Lawns 5 22-06-2009 03:40 PM
Preparing weeded area for turf. richthesparky Lawns 8 08-05-2006 12:24 PM
Preparing weeded area for turf richthesparky United Kingdom 1 04-05-2006 02:40 PM
beginner needs help on preparing the soil audrey Gardening 12 17-03-2003 10:44 AM