Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default dead shrub question

Got a really full skirted cedar tree approx 7' high. This thing has died
suddenly on us.

Is there any reason for me not to cut the trunk off below surface level, and
then just smooth over the hole? Will we have any regrowth problems, or will
the thing just stay cut off?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb said:

Got a really full skirted cedar tree approx 7' high. This thing has died
suddenly on us.

Is there any reason for me not to cut the trunk off below surface level, and
then just smooth over the hole? Will we have any regrowth problems, or will
the thing just stay cut off?

I doubt it will sucker. It'll most likely provide some interesting
mushrooms over the next couple years, as the roots decay. And, may leave a
depression where the rootball is/was. If it's dead, digging the rootball
from such a small tree should be easy enough, and would be the best way to
go, IMO.

--

Eggs

-I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through...
Old 13-07-2007, 05:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
rb said:

Got a really full skirted cedar tree approx 7' high. This thing has died
suddenly on us.

Is there any reason for me not to cut the trunk off below surface level,
and
then just smooth over the hole? Will we have any regrowth problems, or
will
the thing just stay cut off?

I doubt it will sucker.

LOL I thought you were calling the guy a sucker. I was thinking he didn't
say anything to warrant that. Then I read the rest. Too much time in
alt.guitar.

Old 13-07-2007, 10:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb said:

Got a really full skirted cedar tree approx 7' high. This thing has died
suddenly on us.

Is there any reason for me not to cut the trunk off below surface level,
and
then just smooth over the hole? Will we have any regrowth problems, or
will
the thing just stay cut off?

I doubt it will sucker.

LOL I thought you were calling the guy a sucker. I was thinking he didn't
say anything to warrant that. Then I read the rest. Too much time in
alt.guitar.

THAT'S where I'd seen your nym! Man, that was driving me nuts! =) Lately,
I've only been skimming that group, and catching it up. But, nah, I haven't
called anyone a "sucker" since, oh, 1975. =D

--

Eggs

..sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?
Old 13-07-2007, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb said:

Got a really full skirted cedar tree approx 7' high. This thing has
died
suddenly on us.

Is there any reason for me not to cut the trunk off below surface
level,
and
then just smooth over the hole? Will we have any regrowth problems, or
will
the thing just stay cut off?

I doubt it will sucker.

LOL I thought you were calling the guy a sucker. I was thinking he didn't
say anything to warrant that. Then I read the rest. Too much time in
alt.guitar.

THAT'S where I'd seen your nym! Man, that was driving me nuts! =) Lately,
I've only been skimming that group, and catching it up. But, nah, I
haven't
called anyone a "sucker" since, oh, 1975. =D

I thought I recognized your name too. I'm jthread and ythread. Laptop/PC

I got a good chuckle out of that

Jim