Old 16-07-2007, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Problem with Fescue

I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that after
the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn, instead of
being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat. Is this
normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Old 19-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 21:58:49 -0400, "Peter Pan"
wrote:

I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that after
the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn, instead of
being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat. Is this
normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

fat? Got photos?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Old 22-07-2007, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

. ..

Old 23-07-2007, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that
after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn,
instead of being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat.
Is this normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

1. Your fescue needs water, badly.
2. You have a nutsedge problem.
3. The "spread out and fat" grass isn't fescue. It's crabgrass (and from
the looks of it, both large and smooth varieties).

So more watering will help?
What is nutsedge and what Do I need to do about it.
Just days before my OP, the yard looked fine, how can it be crab grass

Old 23-07-2007, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

. ..

--

Eggs

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Old 23-07-2007, 06:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan wrote:
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that
after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn,
instead of being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat.
Is this normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

1. Your fescue needs water, badly.
2. You have a nutsedge problem.
3. The "spread out and fat" grass isn't fescue. It's crabgrass (and from
the looks of it, both large and smooth varieties).

So more watering will help?
What is nutsedge and what Do I need to do about it.
Just days before my OP, the yard looked fine, how can it be crab grass

Never the less, you have posted a picture of crabgrass. It can grow
pretty fast. Perhaps you just missed it. For the nutsedge you can use
a product called Sledgehammer (used to be called Manage). If you have a
Lesco store locally you can buy it there, otherwise any real garden/seed
store (not Home Depot or Walmart) should carry it.
Old 23-07-2007, 10:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that
after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn,
instead of being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat.
Is this normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

1. Your fescue needs water, badly.
2. You have a nutsedge problem.
3. The "spread out and fat" grass isn't fescue. It's crabgrass (and from
the looks of it, both large and smooth varieties).

So more watering will help?

It will help the fescue that hasn't died yet, yes.

What is nutsedge and what Do I need to do about it.

It's an invasive, perennial pest, that spreads by rhyzomes and tubers.
Google "Sedgehammer", for it's control.

Just days before my OP, the yard looked fine, how can it be crab grass

It "can be" because it is. No sense in even trying to eliminate it now.
It's an annual, and by the time you manage it, it'll be dying anyway. You
say this happens "every year". Next year, try using a pre-emergent.

--

Eggs

A piece of motorway and piece of dual carriage way are enjoying a drink in
the pub. In walks a piece of red tarmac. The motorway whispers to the
carrageway "Come on lets drink up and go before the trouble starts; He's a
cyclepath!"
Old 26-07-2007, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 23, 4:47 am, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Peter Pan said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

cyclepath!"- Hide quoted text -

Just for the record, maybe I'm missing something, but in the pics he
provided, I don't see nutsedge, just crabgrass. Plus nutsedge occurs
with lots of water and high temps, so it's inconsistent with a lawn
that's dry.

For the crabgrass, next year, apply a pre-emergent at the proper time
in Spring. If you really want to get rid of what's there now, I'd
recommend Acclaim, but it isn't cheap. I've never found any of the
crabgrass control products sold in the typical retail channels to be
of much use.

Old 29-07-2007, 06:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 23 Jul, 01:15, "Peter Pan" wrote:
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
m...
I have a lawn with tall fescue grass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that
after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of the lawn,
instead of being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat.
Is this normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

1. Your fescue needs water, badly.
2. You have a nutsedge problem.
3. The "spread out and fat" grass isn't fescue. It's crabgrass (and from
the looks of it, both large and smooth varieties).

So more watering will help?
What is nutsedge and what Do I need to do about it.
Just days before my OP, the yard looked fine, how can it be crab grass

Hope you don't think I am spamming, but here is a page about Nutgrass
- or Nutsedge.
Regards
Data
www.gardenseeker.com/lawns/nutgrass.htm

Old 29-07-2007, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You are right Trad - That is NOT Nutgrass. See my earlier post
Regards
Data

Old 17-08-2007, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 22, 8:15 pm, "Peter Pan" wrote:
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

[Top-posting fixed]

Peter Pan said:

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
m...
I have alawnwith tallfescuegrass. Basically I don't have too many
problems with my yard until about mid summer. Every year I notice that
after the summer's first real heat /humidity wave, some of thelawn,
instead of being nice and tall and thin, becomes more spread out and fat.
Is this normal or do I need to do something to my yard? (New Jersey)

Here are some pics of what I was talking about
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/grass1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...119/Grass2.jpg

1. Yourfescueneeds water, badly.
2. You have a nutsedge problem.
3. The "spread out and fat" grass isn'tfescue. It's crabgrass (and from
the looks of it, both large and smooth varieties).

So more watering will help?
What is nutsedge and what Do I need to do about it.
Just days before my OP, the yard looked fine, how can it be crab grass- Hide quoted text -

Nope. You have have to treat the crabgrass. Watering will only help
the crab grass. Fescue is a cool season clump grass. It only grows
where a seed sprouted. It doesn't spread. Kill the crab grass and
overseed the fecsue in the fall.

Fescue is very hard to maintain. It requires alot of water (about 1 -
1.5 inches per week) and it will need to be overseedeed and aerated
yearly. 1.5 inches of water for 1000 SF of lawn is basically 1000
gallons of water. Thats alot of water and it's expensive. Assume a
sprinkler delivers 4 gallons per minuite. You have to water a
single 1000 sf section of lawn for over 4 hours to deliver 1.5" of
water.

Also, seeding Fescue like any other seed requires alot of work. It
needs to be watered several times daily. If the seed germinates and
is allowed to dry, it will die. It needs to be watered 4-5 or more
times daily. Not much. Just enough to keep it wet and growing.
After it is established and growing, 1" of water per week is plenty
until summer.

Never fertilize Fescue in summer. 2x per year (before Mar. 15. and
after Labor day).

It can be done, but you will have to Aerate and overseed yearly.

Old 17-08-2007, 08:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 17, 3:14 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Foobar said:

[...]

overseed yearly

Source?

--

Eggs

Yes, I'd like to see the source for fescue needing to be overseed
yearly. Or needing to be aerated yearly. Or needing a lot of
water? Or being hard to maintain? The fescues are recognized as
being relatvely low maintenance. Funny if fescues have those
characteristics how they are widely used in parks, athletic fields,
and sod production.

Old 17-08-2007, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Foobar said:

[...]

overseed yearly

Source?

most likely from some seed selling catalog.

one of the really neat things about most turf types
is how they will actually produce their own seed and
reseed themselves if allowed by your local lawn gestapo
to grow tall enough..
Old 17-08-2007, 09:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Foobar said:

[...]

overseed yearly

Source?

--

Eggs

-Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she
meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again. -
Marin County newspaper's TV listing for The Wizard of Oz