GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Redcaps prolific (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/161832-redcaps-prolific.html)

Srgnt Billko 17-07-2007 09:21 PM

Redcaps prolific

Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until the
blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just before noon
and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes to relatives,
friends and neighbors.

Bob F 18-07-2007 04:33 PM

Redcaps prolific

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until
the blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just
before noon and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes
to relatives, friends and neighbors.

What on earth is a redcap? What is a blackcap?

Bob

Srgnt Billko 18-07-2007 08:56 PM

Redcaps prolific

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until the
blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just before
noon and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes to
relatives, friends and neighbors.

What on earth is a redcap? What is a blackcap?

Bob

Don't really know the technical terms for them but that's what they are
called around here. I've also heard some people refer to the red ones as
wild rasberries but they don't taste like rasberry.

Srgnt Billko 19-07-2007 01:59 AM

Redcaps prolific

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until the
blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just before
noon and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes to
relatives, friends and neighbors.

What on earth is a redcap? What is a blackcap?

Bob

Black Cap Raspberry
Rubus leucodermis Edible. Fruits July-August. Ripe when deep red or black,
pull off a central core. Plant usually single or few stems, white with
curved, flat thorns. Leaves in 3, alternate similar to salmonberry and
blackberries. Uncommon. Found in scattered locations that get sunshine,

Eigenvector 19-07-2007 02:17 AM

Redcaps prolific

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until the
blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just before
noon and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes to
relatives, friends and neighbors.

What on earth is a redcap? What is a blackcap?

Bob

Black Cap Raspberry
Rubus leucodermis Edible. Fruits July-August. Ripe when deep red or
black, pull off a central core. Plant usually single or few stems, white
with curved, flat thorns. Leaves in 3, alternate similar to salmonberry
and blackberries. Uncommon. Found in scattered locations that get
sunshine,

I was hoping it wasn't a reference to Amanita muscaria.

Srgnt Billko 19-07-2007 03:40 AM

Redcaps prolific

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Lots of redcaps this year - and they very conveniently wait until the
blackcaps are finished to ripen. We've been picking them just before
noon and having them fresh with our lunch. The remainder goes to
relatives, friends and neighbors.

What on earth is a redcap? What is a blackcap?

Bob

Black Cap Raspberry
Rubus leucodermis Edible. Fruits July-August. Ripe when deep red or
black, pull off a central core. Plant usually single or few stems, white
with curved, flat thorns. Leaves in 3, alternate similar to salmonberry
and blackberries. Uncommon. Found in scattered locations that get
sunshine,

I was hoping it wasn't a reference to Amanita muscaria.

Never heard of it - but I looked it up and I see what you mean. Neat !!