Old 25-07-2007, 07:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Trying to figure out what this plant is...

When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area
where I could possibly find this beast's name?
Old 25-07-2007, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Take a sprig to your local nursery and ask them. And I suggest that you
make cuttings like mad and grow several of them. I myself would like a
cutting! :-)
If you do cuttings, place them in water with a bit of a willow branch while
you are gathering your supplies. A willow branch and some rootone will
practically guarantee a take.
Good luck, Jackie

Old 25-07-2007, 07:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

J. Davidson wrote:
Take a sprig to your local nursery and ask them. And I suggest that you
make cuttings like mad and grow several of them. I myself would like a
cutting! :-)

I've spoken to the local nurseries - and even the previous landscaper,
who (reportedly) planted the thing - no one has any idea, even with
seeing fresh cuttings...

If you do cuttings, place them in water with a bit of a willow branch while
you are gathering your supplies. A willow branch and some rootone will
practically guarantee a take.

Hmm, good idea... i'll try that tonight, thanks.

Old 25-07-2007, 07:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Patrick" wrote in message
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area where
I could possibly find this beast's name?

How about posting a picture at a site like www.photobucket.com, so we can
see it?

Old 25-07-2007, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

If it is that prolific a grower I am thinking Camellia either Sasanqua or
the other one, or hardy hibiscus.
Jackie

Old 25-07-2007, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Patrick" wrote in message
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area where
I could possibly find this beast's name?

Maybe poke around here and see what you can find:
http://www.bbg.org/

Old 25-07-2007, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

Patrick said:

When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area
where I could possibly find this beast's name?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/

As someone else suggested, post a pic on the web and link to it here. It's
impossible to identify, by the (lack of) information you've given.

--

Eggs

If you can read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence
'If you read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence' -
Twice!
Old 25-07-2007, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Patrick wrote:
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area
where I could possibly find this beast's name?

Post a picture. Tell us where this plant is growing (it makes a huge
difference whether it is Honolulu or Fairbanks, Miami or Minneapolis).

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 25-07-2007, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

John McGaw said:

Patrick wrote:
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area
where I could possibly find this beast's name?

Post a picture.

No. Put the pic on the web, and link to it here. This isn't a binary group,
thanks.

Tell us where this plant is growing (it makes a huge
difference whether it is Honolulu or Fairbanks, Miami or Minneapolis).

Did you read the /entire/ OP?

--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.
Old 28-07-2007, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

How about he http://www.flickr.com/photos/ubergeek28/

Old 28-07-2007, 06:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

Patrick said:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

How about posting a picture at a site like www.photobucket.com, so we can
see it?

How about he http://www.flickr.com/photos/ubergeek28/

It's a Weigela. Which cultivar, I'm not sure.

--

Eggs

Crime doesn't pay... does that mean my job is a crime?
Old 29-07-2007, 11:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Jul 25, 7:05 pm, Patrick wrote:
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area
where I could possibly find this beast's name?

Hello Patrick
The plant you have is a Weigela - probably Weigela 'Gustav Mallet', on
account of a/ the flower colour (color) and b/ the rather pointed
leaves - as distinct from the sometimes broader oval leaves of some
varieties. It looks a little 'neglected' (The last owner's fault I am
sure :-).
It needs to be a slightly more moist soil - judging from the brown
edges to the leaves. Give it around 4in of mulch around base. As soon
as it finishes flowering, cut out the old flowered shoots near to the
ground. This will encourage new vigorous basal growth, which should
start to give it a little bit more height.
Cut out the old flowering shoots after flowering each year, and then
cut down around one third of the main stems to ground level each year.
This will keep the new growth that is needed for this to be a
satisfactory shrub.
Hope this helps
Data

Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[flup set to a.h.l.g.]
It's a Weigela. Which cultivar, I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Data wrote:

Great, thanks for the information!