Old 27-07-2007, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn problem

About 2 year ago, I had a large (3-ft diameter trunk) ant-infested locust
tree taken down from my front lawn. Now, two years, later, there are
literally hundreds of locust trees growing all over the yard.

I presume this is from the root system that was left after the tree was
removed. I am trying to figure out what to do. Roundup does no good at all
on these things (it kills it, but it also kills all the grass around it).

Any suggestions on what to do to eliminate the problem?

Thanks.

Old 28-07-2007, 12:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 7/27/2007 6:18 PM H said the following:
About 2 year ago, I had a large (3-ft diameter trunk) ant-infested locust
tree taken down from my front lawn. Now, two years, later, there are
literally hundreds of locust trees growing all over the yard.

I presume this is from the root system that was left after the tree was
removed. I am trying to figure out what to do. Roundup does no good at all
on these things (it kills it, but it also kills all the grass around it).

Any suggestions on what to do to eliminate the problem?

Thanks.

Don't spray the Roundup. Put some in a can and 'paint' the leaves with a
brush.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 28-07-2007, 01:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 27, 5:18 pm, "H" wrote:
About 2 year ago, I had a large (3-ft diameter trunk) ant-infested locust
tree taken down from my front lawn. Now, two years, later, there are
literally hundreds of locust trees growing all over the yard.

I presume this is from the root system that was left after the tree was
removed. I am trying to figure out what to do. Roundup does no good at all
on these things (it kills it, but it also kills all the grass around it).

Any suggestions on what to do to eliminate the problem?

Thanks.

Get a strong total vegetation killer designed for brush, etc., which
is more effective than Roundup and apply it at a strong strength using
a rag or sponge with a gloved hand. Or apply with a spray bottle,
using a cardboard tube from paper towels as a shield.

Old 28-07-2007, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"H" wrote in message
About 2 year ago, I had a large (3-ft diameter trunk) ant-infested locust
tree taken down from my front lawn. Now, two years, later, there are
literally hundreds of locust trees growing all over the yard.

I presume this is from the root system that was left after the tree was
removed. I am trying to figure out what to do. Roundup does no good at
all
on these things (it kills it, but it also kills all the grass around it).

Any suggestions on what to do to eliminate the problem?

just run them over with the lawnmower before they get too big

Old 29-07-2007, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 27 Jul, 23:18, "H" wrote:
About 2 year ago, I had a large (3-ft diameter trunk) ant-infested locust
tree taken down from my front lawn. Now, two years, later, there are
literally hundreds of locust trees growing all over the yard.

I presume this is from the root system that was left after the tree was
removed. I am trying to figure out what to do. Roundup does no good at all
on these things (it kills it, but it also kills all the grass around it).

Any suggestions on what to do to eliminate the problem?

Thanks.

Hi H
You will need a weedkiller containing some all - or at least some - of
these chemicals. 2,4-D, Mecoprop-P & Dicamba . Here in the UK it is
sold as SBK Brushwood Killer. Round-up is not strong enough to kill
off this type of root system - at least not in one season.
Regards
Data