Old 29-07-2007, 06:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Day lilies aren't blooming.

I have day lilies in several areas.

They are all doing fine, except 3 that I have on the south side of the
house. They are in full sun.

They have big buds on them, but they don't open.

There are no deadheads.

What's up?
Old 29-07-2007, 06:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

BTW...they are 3 years old. They did fine the first 2 years and I had
to deadhead them every day.
Old 30-07-2007, 07:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 29 Jul, 18:48, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
BTW...they are 3 years old. They did fine the first 2 years and I had
to deadhead them every day.

Hi Mitch
To me it sounds as though they are not getting enough moisture at root
zone - very important even if they do like full sun.
They really respond well to an annual mulch to help keep the roots a
little cooler and moist.
Hope this helps
Data

Old 30-07-2007, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

To me it sounds as though they are not getting enough moisture at root
zone - very important even if they do like full sun.

Thanks...I'll try more water.
I should have mentioned that they were in bloom until about 2 weeks
ago. I just put down a nice heavy coat of mulch, too.
Old 31-07-2007, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Are the unopened buds falling off of the stalks? They just may be slow. =)

No, the buds seem firm and "healthy" looking.
The foliage is also healthy looking.

How deep below the soil line were they planted?

They were put in as plants, not bulbs.

How much mulch on top of
that.

About 3".

What's their feeding schedule?

Whatever nature gives them.

I doubt it's from lack of water. Have they received any water, in the last
month?

Oh, yeah. I'm in NW Illinois. We had some major long, heavy rains.
I think someone said that 2 weeks ago we got 5" in 3 days.

The soil is very well-drained, by the way.

Old 31-07-2007, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Data said:

On 29 Jul, 18:48, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
BTW...they are 3 years old. They did fine the first 2 years and I had
to deadhead them every day.

Hi Mitch
To me it sounds as though they are not getting enough moisture at root
zone - very important even if they do like full sun.

Bullshit.

They really respond well to an annual mulch to help keep the roots a
little cooler and moist.

Bullshit.

Hope this helps

It won't, google-posting-dumbass.

To the OP:

The last thing you want to do with bulbs is keep them moist. They'll rot.
Bulbs prefer soil on the drier side.

Are the unopened buds falling off of the stalks? They just may be slow. =)

How deep below the soil line were they planted? How much mulch on top of
that. What's their feeding schedule? If you're in one of the areas that
were affected by the hard freezes around Easter, it could very well have
affected some of the bulbs. Changes in your local weather from that of the
past two seasons probably is also affecting your lily bloom. It could also
be a root-bourne disease.

--

Eggs

One nice thing about egotists... they don't talk about other people.
Old 31-07-2007, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mitch said:

What's their feeding schedule?

Whatever nature gives them.

Perhaps helping them with some 5-10-15 or 6-12-12 is in order. =)
Fertilizing them twice a season, with either, helps.

I doubt it's from lack of water. Have they received any water, in the last
month?

Oh, yeah. I'm in NW Illinois. We had some major long, heavy rains.
I think someone said that 2 weeks ago we got 5" in 3 days.

The soil is very well-drained, by the way.

I wouldn't worry about them. Most varieties of day lilies are pretty tough.
The weather probably was the biggest factor, but if you haven't been
feeding them, then the nutrients per plant is probably getting pretty low.
Fertilizing now, and dividing them this fall, should bring back the
flowering, next season.

When first reading and replying, I had "true" lilies in mind. They *are*
bulbs, but most day lilies grow from fleshy roots. Still, they prefer not
to have their feet wet, IME. My apologies for using the wrong terminology.
=)

--

Eggs

Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power.
Therefore, procrastination is the key to world peace.

Candy lilies.......aren't they cute? madgardener Garden Photos 0 10-07-2007 04:37 AM
Water Lilies Blooming-Pictures bbrown9506 Ponds 3 19-08-2005 08:16 PM
Day Lilies Not Blooming GF Texas 12 07-06-2003 04:56 PM
Day Lilies Not Blooming GF Texas 7 05-06-2003 02:56 AM
Night blooming tropical lilies... Mick709 Ponds 1 15-04-2003 02:32 AM