Old 30-07-2007, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Something similar to Black-Eye Susans?

I saw some flowers that looked like purple Black-Eye Susans.
It turns out they were purple Coneflowers.

Is there something similar to Black-Eye Susans, but in different
colors? Something perennial that stays in a cluster and doesn't run
too wild?

This would be in full-sun, Zone 5.

Old 30-07-2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 30, 4:35 pm, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
I saw some flowers that looked like purple Black-Eye Susans.
It turns out they were purple Coneflowers.

Is there something similar to Black-Eye Susans, but in different
colors? Something perennial that stays in a cluster and doesn't run
too wild?

This would be in full-sun, Zone 5.

White Daisies are a very similarly shaped flower, white with yellow
centers.

Old 30-07-2007, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:02:23 GMT, Steve wrote:

Coneflowers?
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/i...coneflower.asp

Coneflowers are pretty, but they're spent by now, and just have an
ugly seed pod and no petals. Plus I'm told they're more
wildflower...they scatter.
Old 31-07-2007, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mitch said:

I saw some flowers that looked like purple Black-Eye Susans.
It turns out they were purple Coneflowers.

Echinacea purpurea. It comes in many other flavors, too (white, yellow,
pink, orange, even double-petalled varieties).

Is there something similar to Black-Eye Susans, but in different
colors?

Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan, Gloriosa Daisy, Yellow Ox-eye Daisy)
comes in a lot of different flavors, too. Some cultivars to searh for a
'Prairie Sun', 'Chim Chiminee', 'Cherokee Sunset', to name only a couple.

What colors are you actually looking for. And, by 'similar to', are you
wanting "daisy" shaped flowers? Flowers stalks that terminate in a single
blossom? Do you mean, specifically, wildflowers? Is there a reason that
Rudbeckia or Echinacea won't suit your needs?

Something perennial that stays in a cluster and doesn't run
too wild?

There's the genus Leucanthemum, or Monarda.

This would be in full-sun, Zone 5.

This should get you started.

--

Eggs

A computer scientist is someone who, when told to 'Go to Hell', sees the
'go to', rather than the destination, as harmful.
Old 31-07-2007, 01:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

What colors are you actually looking for.

I wouldn't mind some purples.

And, by 'similar to', are you
wanting "daisy" shaped flowers?

Actually, I meant I like the way Susans stay in their clusters. I
have a couple runners, but for the most part they stay together.
I don't want something that scatters all over.

Is there a reason that
Rudbeckia or Echinacea won't suit your needs?

Well, my friend has some reclaimed prairie with lots of Echinacea, and
it's already spent...just brown seed heads.

You gave me plenty to Google. Thanks!

Old 31-07-2007, 04:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mitch said:

What colors are you actually looking for.

I wouldn't mind some purples.

And, by 'similar to', are you
wanting "daisy" shaped flowers?

Actually, I meant I like the way Susans stay in their clusters. I
have a couple runners, but for the most part they stay together.
I don't want something that scatters all over.

A lot of wildflowers fit that bill. Check the different species of Liatris.
My Liatris aspera is still blooming, and the L. pycnostachya has just
finished.

Is there a reason that
Rudbeckia or Echinacea won't suit your needs?

Well, my friend has some reclaimed prairie with lots of Echinacea, and
it's already spent...just brown seed heads.

I'm just a bit south of you (near StL). My coneflowers (Echinacea and
Ratbida) are still going strong. Deadheading helps their performance, as
well as keeps the spreading down. I leave a few heads for the birds, at the
end of the season. =)

You gave me plenty to Google. Thanks!

You're welcome. Good luck. =)

--

Eggs

-"God is dead." - Nietzsche
-"Nietzsche is dead" - God

Black Eyed Susans...deadhead? Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Lawns 2 15-04-2006 09:28 PM
Black-eyed Susans seeds HA HA Budys Here Gardening 4 10-10-2004 03:05 PM
Black, Black-Eyed Susans HA HA Budys Here Gardening 0 27-07-2004 06:27 AM
Black Eyed Susans Rick Gardening 13 06-09-2003 09:42 PM
Mutation in "Goldsturm" Black-Eyed Susans Faye Tarzwell Gardening 4 02-09-2003 05:32 PM