Old 31-07-2007, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawnmowers with recycling

I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric) and
advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for
blade speed when mulching.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On 31 Jul 2007 23:04:42 GMT, Steveo wrote:

"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for
blade speed when mulching.

My little electric mower is supposed to be a mulching one. I suppose
it really was just too cheap to include a bag. It seems to do an ok
job mulching but maybe the pieces are too big?

The OP should really give some idea of the size of the area to be
mowed. My little yard doesn't need more than a small electric mower.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle
the cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or
electric) and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank
you. J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must
for blade speed when mulching.

My little electric mower is supposed to be a mulching one. I suppose
it really was just too cheap to include a bag. It seems to do an ok
job mulching but maybe the pieces are too big?

Yes, they're junk.- Hide quoted text -

I have a Honda Harmony 215 about 10 years now, gas powered and am very
happy with it. It does an excellent job of mulching. Unless the
grass is overgrown, the clippings just disappear.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Steveo wrote:
"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for
blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

--
Art
Old 03-08-2007, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle
the cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or
electric) and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank
you. J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must
for blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

Until you cut grass with it. A gasoline powered mulching mower will cut
circles around an electric model.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art said:

Steveo wrote:
"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for
blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

*insert Tim Allen grunt*
"URRRGH?"

That *entirely* depends on the speed in which the shaft of the engine
rotates. Plus, an electric motor will struggle *much* more with taller
grass that a gas-powered engine will. This will slow the electric motor
down, thereby decreasing the blade speed.

No? =)
--

Eggs

- Listen: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

Steveo wrote:
"John G Evans" wrote:
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must for
blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

*insert Tim Allen grunt*
"URRRGH?"

That *entirely* depends on the speed in which the shaft of the engine
rotates. Plus, an electric motor will struggle *much* more with taller
grass that a gas-powered engine will. This will slow the electric motor
down, thereby decreasing the blade speed.

No? =)

Blade tip speed should be the same under no load at roughly 19,000 ft
per minute. The motor RPMs and blade length are figured and designed to
reach that speed or very close to it. Obviously a gas mower is more
powerful than an electric one and can handle more load. But I would say
that power is more of a factor than blade speed when it comes to ability
to mulch. There are some lighter grasses in small yards where an
electric mower will mulch just fine. The OP didn't give enough info on
yard size and grass type and the reply was just, well crap, IMO.

--
Art
Old 03-08-2007, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 8/2/2007 7:49 PM Steveo said the following:
Art wrote:

Steveo wrote:

"John G Evans" wrote:

I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle
the cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or
electric) and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank
you. J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must
for blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

Until you cut grass with it. A gasoline powered mulching mower will cut
circles around an electric model.

And you can't cut circles with an electric mower. The cord gets in the way.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 03-08-2007, 10:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Art wrote:

Steveo wrote:

"John G Evans" wrote:

I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle
the cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or
electric) and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank
you. J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Can't help with brand names or models, but gasoline powered is a must
for blade speed when mulching.

Blade speed is the same with electric or gas.

Until you cut grass with it. A gasoline powered mulching mower will cut
circles around an electric model.

And you can't cut circles with an electric mower. The cord gets in the way.

You can one circle.

--
Art

Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"John G Evans" wrote in message
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the
cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric)
and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome. Thank you.
J. G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

I have a new Bolens mower with a B&S engine. It is a mulcher, I don't use
the rear bagger. Does well on St. Augustine and Bermuda grass regarding
mulching. However, there is very fine bladed grass on the property it cuts,
but doesn't mulch very well. I like the fact is does not have a side
discharge, can border cut with either side of the mower.

Keep the blade sharp, and the underside of the deck free of debris to do
mulching effectively. When washing any petrol engine mower down, disconnect
the spark plug. The spark plug connector and spark plug are of dissimilar
metals. This leads to corrosion if water is left at the spark plug and
connector location. Will make the engine less responsive, or, at worst,
won't run at all.
Dave

Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 2, 7:33 pm, Eggs Zachtly

*insert Tim Allen grunt*
"URRRGH?"

That *entirely* depends on the speed in which the shaft of the engine
rotates. Plus, an electric motor will struggle *much* more with taller
grass that a gas-powered engine will. This will slow the electric motor
down, thereby decreasing the blade speed.

No? =)
--

Not ever having an electric mower, your comment raised a question.
Electric edgers often use a dc motor, which maintains mostly constant

KC