Old 24-11-2002, 04:45 AM
Jeff Springer

Default John Deere

Need some help on LX176 with hydro static drive. It will not climb slight
hills and slows down on level grounds also. I replaced the belt which was
wore out but mower still slowing down. I adjusted the linkage on the drive
which seem to help for a few days but back to doing it again. Need help
please.

Jeff

Old 24-11-2002, 05:55 AM
nil

if you can rule out the belt and linkages to the trans then it is probably
internal. before you go and rip the thing apart try changing the fluid, if
it is low or contaminated it can effect the performance. If you change the
oil and know for sure the belt and linkages are not the problem and the unit
still has low or no power (or loses power as it gets warm) then the pump may
be damaged, at that point I would take it to a pro and have it check.

Old 24-11-2002, 06:22 AM
Jeff Springer

When I start out using the mower it seems ok then it looses full power after
30 minutes or so. Then it goes back to full power. It comes and goes during
use. Is there disks that can be changed on the drive, that what it appears
to be on the side of the transmission.

Jeff

news

Old 24-11-2002, 08:07 AM
nil

I am not sure of the style of hydro you may have in this JD but the only
disc (on the out side) I know of on your standard lawn and garden tractors
that are a hydro trans is a brake disc which unless it is binding and
putting excess load on your unit wont be the problem. Start by changing the
fluid (and filter if it has one) as contaminated fluid and or low fluid will
give you poor performance and possibly effect how it operates. Also make
sure the outer case of the trans is not all packed up with grass and or dirt
causing the unit to over heat, if there is a fan (I can't remember seeing
one without a fan of some sort) see if it is broken or missing also causing
it to over heat.
If changing the fluid don't work and the belts and linkages are fine and it
is not overheating then you can either attempt to repair it and take apart
the pump and or trans axle but I do not recommend this. Only attempt this if
you have the proper work place that is relatively dirt free to prevent
contamination when reassemble, the knowledge and the technical spec's to do
the job. The second choice which I would recommend is take it to a shop.
If the pump is damaged it will loose power as the oil in the hydro get hot
and becomes thinner, the hot oil can bypass through the damaged part more
easily instead of the pump and provide the power to the wheels. You could
call the local JD shop and see if they have some tips you can try for your
particular unit. Make sure you have any model number they may need to help
you when you call.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Ken Shelton

Jeff,

Check the fluid but refrain from changing it, do not contaminate the system
with any dirt, a thimble full of dirt will destroy the system.

Mort than likely the popoff in the pump is too low, take it to the dealer it
will be money well spent, they will measure the pump output and shim the
popoff spring accordingly.

Ken Shelton

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8825968

John Deere LX 176 kent Lawns 8 11-01-2010 10:52 AM
Easy to see, Expat owns John Smith and John Smith is ExpatsPuppet on a String! hahahaha ..... Dance Johnny boy.. dance you fool!John Smith the puppet on a string John Smith[_5_] Ponds 0 07-09-2008 04:42 PM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM
John Deere 300 trans dipstick help Chris Szilagyi Gardening 0 28-01-2003 08:55 PM
Parts Supplier ?? Homelite / John Deere sjohnsen Lawns 0 02-12-2002 09:34 PM