Old 25-11-2002, 05:42 AM
Brian Feldmann

Default Drive Belt Tension on Honda Mower?

Hi all-
New to this group, but it looks great!

My in-laws have a Honda Harmony II mower. I just replaced the drive belt on
it this weekend because the old one broke and got shredded. Ooops!

After putting the new belt on, it kept slipping off when engaging the drive.
I verified that it was seating properly in the pulleys- no twists or
anything.

There's a bolt for adjusting the tension on a spring in there. I tried
tightening and lossening and either way, the belt kept slipping off.
Eventually, it slipped and got chopped...

Any ideas on how to adjust this to an ideal setting?

Thanks!
Brian

Old 25-11-2002, 05:46 PM
nil

was the belt you installed a jobber belt or one from Honda? if it was a
jobber belt you probably got the wrong size, if it was Honda then you may
have installed it wrong or they sold you the wrong one. (don't hurt to have
them double check if there is any doubt) some other things to look for are
any belt guides on this unit to keep the belt on are they adjusted properly
or missing? did you check the owners manual on belt replacement? Is any
other part damaged or missing (i.e. idler pulleys etc)

Old 26-11-2002, 05:02 AM
Brian Feldmann

Thanks for the response!
It was a true Honda belt that I used on the mower. As to the *exact*
replacement? Well, the shop is pretty small and I *assume* knowledgeable,
so I think it was the right part.

The spring tensioner on the pulley is what I think needs adjusting- it's
just that I don't know which way to go with it. There's lots of room to
tighten and loosen the bolt and it doesn't really seem to have any effect on
the tension of the belt.

The owner's manual shows how to do everything else, except change and adjust
the belt! D'oh!

Thanks for the assist... any other ideas?

-Brian

news