Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Modifying and starting with components in my earthmachine

I have to install, begin using, or fill my my
http://earthmachine.com/#. To start out with I have two garbage cans of
grass clippings. I also have a kitchen compost keeper basket. I don't know
how much my small kitchen contribution will be (where can I get a complete
list online of what to do with each and every thing likely to come out of a
kitchen before it goes into a compost pile?), and 365 newspapers per year. I
am curious what happens with the ink; isn't it bad; can there be too much? I'll
have to wait until fall for leaves. I may be able to borrow a bag of leaves
if much better. I have a privat hedge. Is it best to source out a matching
quantity of C before I put all of the grass (N) in the m/c?
The m/c has two rows of venting slits, 4 sets on top, and 7 sets on
the bottom, each set with five 3/8"W x 4"H cut-out slits, a total of about
3" wide by 4" high but they have provided no way to cover the holes. How can
I add some type of slit covering addition to my conical shaped plastic m/c?
The 30" x 30" m/c has a removable top at half height, and the front door is
1/3 of the full height and about 12" wide.

As far as getting used to figuring out the C:N proportions, can I see
how the mixture is coming along by eye at any stage, regardless, to see what's
going on wrt the C:N proportion?
I have the one earth machine for one pile one stage, but will there be
levels?
So using my one bin, the C or N component will either be in surplus or
demand, will I have an imaginary line with a good C:N mixture below,
composting on the bottom of the pile, And will I need to turn above and
below that imaginary line, as lower stuff will be more ready than higher
stuff. OR should I keep the whole pile a good C:N mixture and leave out all
extras until I have a supply compliment component. That is: Does this mean
digging out or adding component at level 4 and putting it at level 3, or 2
to 1, etc; can there be many levels?, or always just very lowest to very
highest? OR should I just toss it all in (with or without reason) and wait
for the one whole pile to tell me what's missing as a whole down the final
stretch.

Please jump in anywhere if you can, I can't wait any longer to
straighten this mess out. I'll take my chances with what I get. Yes/no
answers appreciated. Want to do everything at once.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

update;
I just got a donation of a couple 1/2 full bags of dried out leaves (C),
looks like mainly apple.

So I have:
years grass (N) - two+ heavy garbage cans full (pool, so no mulching - at
least not yet)
couple 1/2 full bags of dried out leaves (C)
all the newspaper I need (C)
privat hedge clippings (a heavy batch just clipped yesterday) (N?)

SO, can I get ALL my container clean-up done by dumping everything into my
new composter (i.e. ALL 2+ cans grass)?

Even if, since I have lots of grass, and potentially a compliment N shortage
b/c of it, is it a good idea to vary the sources of the N, i.e. add hedge
clippings too even though I have lots of N in the form of grass already?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

It looks to me like we are overthinking this a bit. I have a compost bin,
3x4x4 feet or so. I throw in whatever I have from the kitchen, stuff from
around the yard, some leaves, some garden stuff and let it cook; I don't
really cut it up much. It is just a big bin. It does not get mixed or
anything. It has a flap so I can dig stuff out of the bottom, which has
been in there maybe a few years by the time it gets down that far. It
turns out terrific compost.
Tomes

"bent" wrote in message
update;
I just got a donation of a couple 1/2 full bags of dried out leaves (C),
looks like mainly apple.

So I have:
years grass (N) - two+ heavy garbage cans full (pool, so no mulching -
at least not yet)
couple 1/2 full bags of dried out leaves (C)
all the newspaper I need (C)
privat hedge clippings (a heavy batch just clipped yesterday) (N?)

SO, can I get ALL my container clean-up done by dumping everything into
my new composter (i.e. ALL 2+ cans grass)?

Even if, since I have lots of grass, and potentially a compliment N
shortage b/c of it, is it a good idea to vary the sources of the N, i.e.
add hedge clippings too even though I have lots of N in the form of
grass already?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Tomes said:

It looks to me like we are overthinking this a bit.

Best to just ignore them, Tomes. bent overthinks *everything*. They come
here and ask about this and that, and they panic about this and that, and
never accept any advice given.

If you don't believe me, search their previous posts (specifically about
lawns and temperatures). You'll see.

--

Eggs

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...oh, wait a
minute - he already does.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" ....
Tomes :

It looks to me like we are overthinking this a bit.

Best to just ignore them, Tomes. bent overthinks *everything*. They come
here and ask about this and that, and they panic about this and that,
and
never accept any advice given.

If you don't believe me, search their previous posts (specifically about
lawns and temperatures). You'll see.

Yeah, I know Eggs. I have been reading and chuckling over those too, and
thought about that before I posted this. I figured it may help someone
else tho, so I went ahead.
=)
Tomes

Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

and this has what to do with anything?

"Tomes" wrote in message
link.net...
"Eggs Zachtly" ....