Old 04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Do I need to returf - dog urine

I am new here today and am a keen amateur gardener (still learning). I have just spent alot of money re-landscaping my garden. The back lawn is still growing great and is very lush. However, the front has been subject to dog urine (I have about 6 patches and could cry!). I am getting the front walled in, but I need to know if I would need to just replace the damaged patches, or is there anything I can do to promote growth again? Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

Also, I notice in my back lawn I have some very small mushrooms coming through. Is this something I should worry about or do I just mow them up when I cut the grass.

I look forward to your replies.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Do I need to returf - dog urine

On Aug 4, 3:42 am, Fat_Tulip
wrote:
I am new here today and am a keen amateur gardener (still learning). I
have just spent alot of money re-landscaping my garden. The back lawn
is still growing great and is very lush. However, the front has been
subject to dog urine (I have about 6 patches and could cry!). I am
getting the front walled in, but I need to know if I would need to just
replace the damaged patches, or is there anything I can do to promote
growth again? Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

In most cases, small areas like that will fill in by themselves. It
also depends on the type of grass. If you have some bluegrass in the
lawn, it will spread via rhizomes, which is one reason it's in many
grass seed mixes. Clump type grass will also grow larger to fill in
gaps.

Also, I notice in my back lawn I have some very small mushrooms coming
through. Is this something I should worry about or do I just mow them
up when I cut the grass.

Nothing to worry about. They usually occur when there is lots of
moisture and some organic material, like old wood, decaying near the
surface. Just make sure you're not overwatering the lawn.
Established lawns should get about 1" of water a week, which may be
one application or split into two, about 4 days apart, depending on
the soil.

I look forward to your replies.

--
Fat_Tulip

Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 4, 3:42 am, Fat_Tulip
wrote:
I am new here today and am a keen amateur gardener (still learning). I
have just spent alot of money re-landscaping my garden. The back lawn
is still growing great and is very lush. However, the front has been
subject to dog urine (I have about 6 patches and could cry!). I am
getting the front walled in, but I need to know if I would need to just
replace the damaged patches, or is there anything I can do to promote
growth again? Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

In most cases, small areas like that will fill in by themselves. It
also depends on the type of grass. If you have some bluegrass in the
lawn, it will spread via rhizomes, which is one reason it's in many
grass seed mixes. Clump type grass will also grow larger to fill in
gaps.

if its a rye type grass for example, this will self seed. You just need to
cut it high enough to all seed development. It is late winter here but I
notice the rye grass already starting to seed where I have cut it high. I
have 2 mutts who **** on the lawn, the grass takes care of itself.

rob

Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"George.com" wrote:
if its a rye type grass for example, this will self seed.

Only if it's annual in variety and I consider it a weed.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Fat_Tulip" wrote in message

I am new here today and am a keen amateur gardener (still learning). I
have just spent alot of money re-landscaping my garden. The back lawn
is still growing great and is very lush. However, the front has been
subject to dog urine (I have about 6 patches and could cry!). I am
getting the front walled in, but I need to know if I would need to just
replace the damaged patches, or is there anything I can do to promote
growth again? Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

Also, I notice in my back lawn I have some very small mushrooms coming
through. Is this something I should worry about or do I just mow them
up when I cut the grass.

I look forward to your replies.
--
Fat_Tulip

Where in the world do you guys live where a dog ****ing on the lawn is
destroying vegitation? Do you feed your dogs something really strange? Are
you collecting their urine in 5 gallon containers, distilling it down to a
super concentrated mixture, then pouring it on the lawn in a single spot?
I've cared for dogs all my adult life and have never seen urine do anything
to the lawn. Dog piles yes, but only if I let it sit there for a couple of
days in the sun.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Mac is offline

The fastest way I found is just buy one roll of sod, remove the burnt grass
and take pieces from the sod roll and patch it....instant grass... no wait
and it works...

Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mac said:

The fastest way I found is just buy one roll of sod, remove the burnt grass
and take pieces from the sod roll and patch it....instant grass... no wait
and it works...

It's also a helluva lot more expensive than just over-watering the spots to
leech out the extra nitrogen.

--

Eggs

-"God is dead." - Nietzsche
-"Nietzsche is dead" - God
Old 10-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Surrey

Do not returf otherwise you will create a patch work quilt!
Get a soil based compost like John Innes number 3, get a few good handfulls of a family lawn seed mixture and mix this into the bucket.
Fill in the holes with the seed and top dressing material and work level with the back of a rake or lute.
Top dress an area larget than the urine affected area so as to try and avoid a polka dot effect.

If you want a fab product go to www.dogrocks.co.uk and you place these in thewater bowl and it helps neutralize the urine when it comes out. I use them and they are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Tulip View Post