Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Riding lawn mower problem

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It has just started having a
problem that I need help diagnosing. It is some kind of a fuel
problem and is related to the position of the mower while cutting. My
land is sloped and, when cutting the following happens.
If I am cutting across the slope and my left side is on the downhill
side of the slope, the mower gets plenty of gas and works perfectly.
If I am cutting across the slope and my right side is on the downhill
slope, it slows down and seems to lack power. It almost slows to a
stop. The fuel pump is mounted on the left side of the engine. Any
thoughts about what is going on will be appreciated. THanks
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jack" wrote in message
I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It has just started having a
problem that I need help diagnosing. It is some kind of a fuel
problem and is related to the position of the mower while cutting. My
land is sloped and, when cutting the following happens.
If I am cutting across the slope and my left side is on the downhill
side of the slope, the mower gets plenty of gas and works perfectly.
If I am cutting across the slope and my right side is on the downhill
slope, it slows down and seems to lack power. It almost slows to a
stop. The fuel pump is mounted on the left side of the engine. Any
thoughts about what is going on will be appreciated. THanks

If you are sure it is a fuel pump problem - put an electric fuel pump in.
On one tractor I have it on a separate switch so I can turn it on and off as
needed. I get mine (low pressure) at NAPA. However it might have more to
do with the float than the pump.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I had a similar issue when there was water in the fuel.

The fuel tank in the mower had a slight depression to hold small amounts of
water and other debris at a level below the fuel pick-up. But, once there
was enough water in the tank, the water would overflow the depressed area on
hills and the like and the mower would stumble and possibly die.

It took several frustrating mowing sessions to figure that one out.

KB

Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jack wrote:
I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It has just started having a
problem that I need help diagnosing. It is some kind of a fuel
problem and is related to the position of the mower while cutting. My
land is sloped and, when cutting the following happens.
If I am cutting across the slope and my left side is on the downhill
side of the slope, the mower gets plenty of gas and works perfectly.
If I am cutting across the slope and my right side is on the downhill
slope, it slows down and seems to lack power. It almost slows to a
stop. The fuel pump is mounted on the left side of the engine. Any
thoughts about what is going on will be appreciated. THanks

Does it smoke when it slows down?