GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   non-fertilizing pre-emergent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/162752-non-fertilizing-pre-emergent.html)

Chas Hurst[_2_] 07-08-2007 02:00 AM

non-fertilizing pre-emergent

I've got a growing infestation of annual bluegrass and bermuda grass. I
believe the time to apply a pre-emergent is soon here in SE PA. Or am I
wrong?
Is there a pre-emergent available without the fertilizer? I don't want to
put fert on the lawn at this time of the year.
TIA
Chas Hurst

Eggs Zachtly 07-08-2007 03:30 AM

Chas Hurst said:

I've got a growing infestation of annual bluegrass and bermuda grass. I
believe the time to apply a pre-emergent is soon here in SE PA.

Are you expecting a strong crop of winter-weeds?

Or am I wrong?

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Is there a pre-emergent available without the fertilizer?

Why on earth would you want that?

I don't want to put fert on the lawn at this time of the year.

You probably don't want to put pre-emergent on the lawn at this time of the
year, either.

Think about that word (pre-emergent) for a minute.

Pre (Before. Prior to.) - Emerge (Come out into view, as from concealment.)

It needs to be put down /before/ the weed seeds germinate. That's early in
the Spring, in your neck o' the woods.

--

Eggs

I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.

Chas Hurst[_2_] 07-08-2007 04:25 AM

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

It needs to be put down /before/ the weed seeds germinate. That's early in
the Spring, in your neck o' the woods.

--

Eggs

I did this last spring. The results were disappointing. I have read that
some undesirable grasses germinate in the late summer. Are you claiming this
is not so?

Eggs Zachtly 07-08-2007 10:53 AM

Chas Hurst said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

It needs to be put down /before/ the weed seeds germinate. That's early in
the Spring, in your neck o' the woods.

I did this last spring. The results were disappointing.

If it was the first time you've applied it, you won't get a 100% stoppage
of the weeds. You won't even be close. You also may have put it down late,
after the seeds had already germinated. "Spring" is a pretty big window.

There are literally millions of weed/grass seeds in your soil. As each one
germinates, it pokes a tiny hole in the pre-emergent barrier. Eventually,
an undesireable will get through. Keep applying the pre-emergent at the
proper time, at the proper rate, and in a few years you'll notice a marked
decrease in the undesireables.

I have read that some undesirable grasses germinate in the late summer.
Are you claiming this is not so?

Annuals will set seed any chance you give them. But, winter will kill them
off. Putting down a pre-emergent in mid summer will do you *no* good.

--

Eggs

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.

Steveo 07-08-2007 10:55 AM

wrote:
Chas Hurst said:

[...]

Certain annual grasses are about to germinate again as summer ends.

Now is the approximate time to apply pre-emergent aiming at poa annua
suppression here in N Ohio, timing is everything. It will do *some* good if
applied at the proper time. I've used dimension with some success.

Eggs Zachtly 07-08-2007 10:57 PM

Steveo said:

wrote:
Chas Hurst said:

[...]

"grasses" (Ok, I'll give ya that if it's an unwanted grass, it can be
classified as a weed =P )

Now is the approximate time to apply pre-emergent aiming at poa annua
suppression here in N Ohio, timing is everything. It will do *some* good if
applied at the proper time. I've used dimension with some success.

It's a bit hot, don't you think? I'm only a couple states over from you,
and we're in triple digits. Poa's not a problem, and won't be for a couple
months months. It's early, IMO.

Dimension works well for crabgrass, even on seedlings. Does it do the same
for young poa plants (or, only as a pre-emergent)?

--
Eggs

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Kyle Boatright 08-08-2007 01:59 AM

non-fertilizing pre-emergent

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..
I've got a growing infestation of annual bluegrass and bermuda grass. I
believe the time to apply a pre-emergent is soon here in SE PA. Or am I
wrong?
Is there a pre-emergent available without the fertilizer? I don't want to
put fert on the lawn at this time of the year.
TIA
Chas Hurst

Bermuda??? Yikes. You won't control it with a pre-emergent. That'll take a
serious post emergent, like Fluazifop, Acclaim, or Round-up. (The first two
are semi-selective, depending on what kind of grass you have that you want
to survive.)

Bluegrass is treatable with a pre-emergent, and September is probably your
best bet.

To answer your question, yes, Home Depot (among others) carries pre-emergent
without fertilizer. You may have some difficulty finding it this time of
year (everyone worries about summer weeds, not fall/winter weeds). Also, you
need to verify that the pre-emergent you purchase is effective against the
weed(s) you seek to control. All pre-emergents are not effective on all
seeds...

Steveo 08-08-2007 11:24 AM

wrote:
Steveo said:

wrote:
Chas Hurst said:

[...]

Yes, those pesky grass weeds.

Now is the approximate time to apply pre-emergent aiming at poa annua
suppression here in N Ohio, timing is everything. It will do *some*
good if applied at the proper time. I've used dimension with some
success.

It's a bit hot, don't you think? I'm only a couple states over from you,
and we're in triple digits. Poa's not a problem, and won't be for a
couple months months. It's early, IMO.

As I said timing is everything and that will definitely vary by location. I
usually apply it in about two weeks here.

Dimension works well for crabgrass, even on seedlings. Does it do the
same for young poa plants (or, only as a pre-emergent)?

I don't know if it has any post emergent value on poa, I'm always sure to
apply it before it germinates. The only caveat with that is possible root
pruning of desirable turf, and I keep it off bentgrass as much as possible.