GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Safety advice for tractor mowers. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/162921-safety-advice-tractor-mowers.html)

Willshak 10-08-2007 08:39 PM

Safety advice for tractor mowers.

Some post about tool safety in another group reminded me of a grim
incident that happened a few years ago, which gave me chills and made a
lasting impression on me. It is more appropriate to this group, so I'll
write it here even though it still gives me chills just to write it.
A few years ago, I read about an accident involving a grandpa on a
tractor mower and his little granddaughter following close behind with a
plastic toy push mower. I won't go into the grim details, but had it be
me, I think I would have put a gun in my mouth. But for anyone using a
tractor mower while having toddlers around, or just grandkids visiting,
pick up a cheap set of rear view mirrors and mount them on the tractor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

jacko 10-08-2007 10:52 PM

Safety advice for tractor mowers.

Go a little farther. There is no place for kids, or anyone else for that
matter, near a mowing operation. That includes any type of power mower, ride
on, walk behind gas or electric mower, or string weed whacker. Cutting grass
is not an observer sport. Its a dangerous, necessary chore that should not
include an audience. Just last week my weed-eater picked up a stone and
smashed the glass in my green house door. God forbid if it would have been a
grandkids eye.

Frank 10-08-2007 11:24 PM

willshak wrote:
Some post about tool safety in another group reminded me of a grim
incident that happened a few years ago, which gave me chills and made a
lasting impression on me. It is more appropriate to this group, so I'll
write it here even though it still gives me chills just to write it.
A few years ago, I read about an accident involving a grandpa on a
tractor mower and his little granddaughter following close behind with a
plastic toy push mower. I won't go into the grim details, but had it be
me, I think I would have put a gun in my mouth. But for anyone using a
tractor mower while having toddlers around, or just grandkids visiting,
pick up a cheap set of rear view mirrors and mount them on the tractor.

I know of a farmer that ran over and killed his young son who was riding
on his tractor with him. He had a heart attack afterwards but I never
heard follow up. It pains me to see kids around heavy equipment in use.
I also know of 2 women that ran over and killed their kids with their
cars. I think both marriages were destroyed by it. One happened at our
swim club but I still see mothers letting their kids run loose in the
parking lot.

Srgnt Billko 11-08-2007 12:26 AM

"jacko" wrote in message
Go a little farther. There is no place for kids, or anyone else for that
matter, near a mowing operation. That includes any type of power mower,
ride on, walk behind gas or electric mower, or string weed whacker.
Cutting grass is not an observer sport. Its a dangerous, necessary chore
that should not include an audience. Just last week my weed-eater picked
up a stone and smashed the glass in my green house door. God forbid if it
would have been a grandkids eye.

Great advice. I'll second every bit of it.