Old 12-08-2007, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Ants or bees or what?

Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking for
the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

Old 12-08-2007, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

sure looks like ant hills. Do not step in them. Do not let pets or
children near them.
They sure need killing.
Jackie
. ..

Old 13-08-2007, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 8/12/2007 3:06 PM Eigenvector said the following:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking for
the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

They look rather large. Too big for ants, too small for mammals. No dirt
piles around the holes. Too many, too close to each other, to be
openings to a nest.
My guess would be Japanese Beetles, Locusts, Cicadas, or similar. Their
nymphs buried in the ground coming to the surface before moulting into
adults. Look for discarded skins nearby.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 13-08-2007, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"willshak" wrote in message
on 8/12/2007 3:06 PM Eigenvector said the following:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking
for the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

They look rather large. Too big for ants, too small for mammals. No dirt
piles around the holes. Too many, too close to each other, to be openings
to a nest.
My guess would be Japanese Beetles, Locusts, Cicadas, or similar. Their
nymphs buried in the ground coming to the surface before moulting into
adults. Look for discarded skins nearby.

--

Bill

I probably should qualify this with a location. This is Seattle. That
pretty much rules out Cicadas and Locusts. But I was wondering about the
size of the holes, and the proximity. Seems unusual for ants or bees to be
so close together. Hadn't considered it to be a beetle hole. Thing is
about the holes, I filled them in after a particularly vigorous rainstorm
and they came right back two days later looking like someone had placed them
with a drill bit. Japanese Beetles maybe??

Old 13-08-2007, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eigenvector wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Dig a spadeful of dirt and break it up on the groung. If its beetles,
there should be pupae or grubs still in the ground. First, though, make
sure it isn't bees. Just watch for a little while. No bees? Then dig.

Old 13-08-2007, 12:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message ...
Eigenvector wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Wait? Why?
Pushes in the shovel
"Bzzzzzzzz"
"Ahhhhhhh!"

Old 13-08-2007, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lar Lar is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking for
the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

hard to tell by the picture, but if it were digger bees, or ants also, I
would think if you just sat nearby and watched for 10 minutes activity
would be seen.

Lar
Old 13-08-2007, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lar" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking
for the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

hard to tell by the picture, but if it were digger bees, or ants also, I
would think if you just sat nearby and watched for 10 minutes activity
would be seen.

Lar

Tried that, nada. Perhaps they're early morning or dusk creatures?

Old 13-08-2007, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lar" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them
and stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are
looking for the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

hard to tell by the picture, but if it were digger bees, or ants also, I
would think if you just sat nearby and watched for 10 minutes activity
would be seen.

Lar

Tried that, nada. Perhaps they're early morning or dusk creatures?

I'm no expert, but I don't think they're ants. I have some similar holes,
and it's some other little bug that crawls in there (I live in NC, so it
probably isn't comparable.) You've watched and seen nothing? I'd dig a
couple up if it were me. But beware of a bee or wasp coming out :-)

Old 13-08-2007, 04:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

jeffc wrote:

[....]

I live in NC,

when did you move to NC?

where did you move to NC from?

Old 13-08-2007, 04:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 12, 2:06 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them and
stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are looking for
the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

I'm guessing large earthworms like night crawlers.
Choice food for moles and would explain why
you're not seeing them.

KC

Old 14-08-2007, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lar" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Are these anthills/holes in my sideyard? I'd love to get rid of them
and stop the invasion of moles in my yard. Presumably the moles are
looking for the insects.

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P8120119.JPG

hard to tell by the picture, but if it were digger bees, or ants also, I
would think if you just sat nearby and watched for 10 minutes activity
would be seen.

Lar

Tried that, nada. Perhaps they're early morning or dusk creatures?

Well I dug around in the dirt with a shovel and at the very least uncovered
what WASN'T in the hole.

It wasn't ants, looked like large metallic green flies. They came
barrelling out of the hole at a pretty good clip - one per hole, so I didn't
get a good look at them. Might have been a wasp, but looked too burly to be
a wasp. didn't have an obvious thin waistline - but again I didn't get a
good look at them.

Old 14-08-2007, 01:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lar Lar is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Lar" wrote in message
. ..

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

It may of been just an emergence of some sort of beetle or cicada type
creature.

Lar
Old 14-08-2007, 04:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
jeffc wrote:

[....]

I live in NC,

when did you move to NC?

where did you move to NC from?

From Upstate NY about 20 years ago.

Old 14-08-2007, 06:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

jeffc wrote:

Jim wrote:
jeffc wrote: