Old 17-08-2007, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Soil test help

On Aug 14, 4:28 pm, Steveo wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 14, 7:13 am, Jim wrote:
trader wrote:
KC wrote:
trad wrote:

Lime now and 15-0-15 fertilizer next spring.

KC

Why wait till Spring to fertilize? Fall is an excellent time to
apply ferilizer

There are divided opinions on this subject and I gave the one I was
taught. Existing growth benefits but new growth suffers. Rationale
is that nitrogen stimulates new growth late in the season and this
growth does not have time to toughen up before freezes, thus dying.

KC

If you look at the advice of university agricultural services and
turf authorities, I haven't seen any disagreement. In fact, most of
them state that Fall is the best time to fertilize, as there is much
less chance of encouraging disease. If you have any sources that
state otherwise, I'd be happy to see them. And I do it every year on
mylawnand it looks super, nice and green all winter.

your advice is dependent upon the type of turf one is managing.

http://www.super-sod.com/info-guide-...w.super-sod.co
m/info-guide-centipede.html

both are warm season active cool season dormant grasses
yet they have different feeding requirements.

leaving the uninformed uninformed allows for increased
seed and fertilizer sales resulting in an industry net
gain. is it the right thing to do?- Hide quoted text -

If you read the original post, the question was:

"Here are the results of mylawnsoil test. Can you recommend soil
amendments or treatments? Have rye,fescueand bluegrass in central
CT. "

It's clear the question and answer I gave were for cool season grasses
in CT, not warm season grasses. Fall fertilization is clearly
appropriate. So save the nonsense about trying to increase fertlizer
sales.

I understood you completely, Trader, and you were spot on with your advice.

Bermuda isn't really turf-grass anyway is it? it looks like grass weeds to
me.- Hide quoted text -

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So yeah,
it's a turf grass.

Old 17-08-2007, 06:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Foobar wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:28 pm, Steveo wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 14, 7:13 am, Jim wrote:
trader wrote:

http://www.super-sod.com/info-guide-.../www.super-sod
[...]

Not aroumd here they don't.
Old 17-08-2007, 07:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 17, 12:05 pm, Steveo wrote:

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So yeah,
it's a turf grass.

Not aroumd here they don't.

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so
used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts
of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW,
what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

KC

Old 17-08-2007, 08:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"KC" wrote in message
ups.com...

My advice pertained to warm season grasses which general
recommendations state not to fertilize later than August.

What's a "warm season"?

Bob (in Seattle)

Old 17-08-2007, 08:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 17, 12:05 pm, Steveo wrote:

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So yeah,
it's a turf grass.

Not aroumd here they don't.

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so
used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts
of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW,
what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

And say "around here" without sayig where "here" is?

Bob

Old 17-08-2007, 11:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 17, 3:41 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"KC" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 17, 12:05 pm, Steveo wrote:

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So yeah,
it's a turf grass.

Not aroumd here they don't.

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so
used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts
of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW,
what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

And say "around here" without sayig where "here" is?

Bob

I maintain 3 types of grass. Tall Fescue in the front yard (3000 sf),
Hybrid Bermuda in the back yard (5000 sf) and my neighbors weeds (2000
sf) on either side.

Old 18-08-2007, 04:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

Foobar wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:28 pm, Steveo wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 14, 7:13 am, Jim wrote:
trader wrote:
KC wrote:
trad wrote:

[...]

LMAO!

Where /do/ they come from? Oh.... I see... G2...

*shakes head*

--

Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.
Old 19-08-2007, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 17, 10:04 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Not aroumd here they don't.

LMAO!

Where /do/ they come from? Oh.... I see... G2...

*shakes head*

More of that "I'm superior to you because I use usenet" crap. Why is
it that so many usenet people have a really shitty attitude??

Bob

Old 19-08-2007, 11:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob said:

On Aug 17, 10:04 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Not aroumd here they don't.

LMAO!

Where /do/ they come from? Oh.... I see... G2...

*shakes head*

More of that "I'm superior to you because I use usenet" crap.

No, more of that "G2 really borks posts, and an unbelievable amount of spam
originates there, which Google admittedly won't do anything about.".

Why is it that so many usenet people have a really shitty attitude??

Must be something to it, if "so many" feel that way, huh?

--

Eggs

What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
Old 19-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 8/19/2007 6:10 AM Eggs Zachtly said the following:
Bob said:

On Aug 17, 10:04 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Not aroumd here they don't.

LMAO!

Where /do/ they come from? Oh.... I see... G2...

*shakes head*

More of that "I'm superior to you because I use usenet" crap.

No, more of that "G2 really borks posts, and an unbelievable amount of spam
originates there, which Google admittedly won't do anything about.".

Why is it that so many usenet people have a really shitty attitude??

Must be something to it, if "so many" feel that way, huh?

A couple of weeks ago, I received an e-mail response to a threaded
message I posted in alt.home repair.
I was not the OP of the original message, nor was I offering anything to
the OP's question. The thread had wandered off the original question,
but was still somewhat OT, and I was just adding a similar story to
another responder's story.
I had posted the message 4 years ago.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 19-08-2007, 02:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob said:

On Aug 17, 10:04 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Not aroumd here they don't.

LMAO!

Where /do/ they come from? Oh.... I see... G2...

*shakes head*

More of that "I'm superior to you because I use usenet" crap.

No, more of that "G2 really borks posts, and an unbelievable amount of spam
originates there, which Google admittedly won't do anything about.".

Why is it that so many usenet people have a really shitty attitude??

Must be something to it, if "so many" feel that way, huh?

A couple of weeks ago, I received an e-mail response from a G2 user to a
threaded message I posted in alt.home repair.
I was not the OP of the original message, nor was I offering anything to
the OP's question. The thread had wandered off the original question,
but was still somewhat On Topic, and I was just adding a similar story

Old 19-08-2007, 04:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob F" wrote:
"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 17, 12:05 pm, Steveo wrote:

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So
yeah, it's a turf grass.

Not aroumd here they don't.

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so
used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts
of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW,
what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

And say "around here" without sayig where "here" is?

Bob

North Ohio.
Old 19-08-2007, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

KC wrote:
On Aug 17, 12:05 pm, Steveo wrote:

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So
yeah, it's a turf grass.

Not aroumd here they don't.

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so
used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts
of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW,
what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

KC

Rye, blue, fescue, and bent.
Old 19-08-2007, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

KC wrote:
On Aug 17, 12:05 pm, Steveo wrote:

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So
yeah, it's a turf grass.

Not aroumd here they don't.

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so
used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts
of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW,
what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

KC

Rye, blue, fescue, and bent.

Here (StL), it's:

Tall Fescue (rough)
Zoisia (fairways, tee boxes, & close rough)
Bent (greens)

--

Eggs

Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?
Old 21-08-2007, 04:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob said:

[...]

As part of it's USENET "simulation", after 60 days, Google removes the
ability to reply to a post, which is fine, IMO. Unfortunately, they don't
remove the ability to reply by email, or forward that same post. It's a
completely borked interface, and the "powers that be" apparently wish to
keep it that way. No matter, I see very few posts that originate there, and
it makes for a *MUCH* better USENET experience. =)

--

Eggs

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

Need help deciphering my soil test results! skunker Gardening 12 07-04-2007 12:06 AM
How to make a soil test kit??? Monte Australia 8 02-04-2003 03:20 AM
How to MAKE a soil test kit! Monte Texas 0 28-03-2003 12:32 AM
Test test Al Zymer United Kingdom 1 14-03-2003 08:44 PM
Soil test??'s news.houston.sbcglobal.net Texas 30 11-03-2003 06:58 PM