Old 15-08-2007, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Hold the DR field & brush

I've gone back to my old method - a good round-point shovel and a sharp axe
plus my lopping shears. I had that one 8" stump in a bad place - right on a
sharp turn. After I got that out by cutting a couple roots on the uphill
side and hooking the tractor and chain on the downhill side - I decided I'd
start on the worst of the brush. Just a couple shots with the axe - one or
two on each side - I got quite a few out roots and all. Maybe I'll hold off
on the DR.

Old 15-08-2007, 04:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
I've gone back to my old method - a good round-point shovel and a sharp
axe plus my lopping shears. I had that one 8" stump in a bad place -
right on a sharp turn. After I got that out by cutting a couple roots on
the uphill side and hooking the tractor and chain on the downhill side -
I decided I'd start on the worst of the brush. Just a couple shots with
the axe - one or two on each side - I got quite a few out roots and all.
Maybe I'll hold off on the DR.

A sawzall comes in handy on those jobs too if you can supply electricity to
it.

Good job OM.
Old 15-08-2007, 04:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Srgnt Billko wrote:

I've gone back to my old method - a good round-point shovel and a sharp axe
plus my lopping shears. I had that one 8" stump in a bad place - right on a
sharp turn. After I got that out by cutting a couple roots on the uphill
side and hooking the tractor and chain on the downhill side - I decided I'd
start on the worst of the brush. Just a couple shots with the axe - one or
two on each side - I got quite a few out roots and all. Maybe I'll hold off
on the DR.

oh come on Srgnt you know you want that DR. just think of how good
it will look sitting in the corner of the shed with all the other stuff
that only gets used once every three years.

Old 15-08-2007, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

I've gone back to my old method - a good round-point shovel and a sharp
axe
plus my lopping shears. I had that one 8" stump in a bad place - right
on a
sharp turn. After I got that out by cutting a couple roots on the uphill
side and hooking the tractor and chain on the downhill side - I decided
I'd
start on the worst of the brush. Just a couple shots with the axe - one
or
two on each side - I got quite a few out roots and all. Maybe I'll hold
off
on the DR.

oh come on Srgnt you know you want that DR. just think of how good
it will look sitting in the corner of the shed with all the other stuff
that only gets used once every three years.

Funny you should say that. I was just thinking of my walk-behind Gravely -
wondering if there was a "brush-hog" front mower for it. I checked the
machine and it had grown roots because it hadn't been moved in such a long
time.

Old 15-08-2007, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Srgnt Billko wrote:

Jim wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:

[....]
Maybe I'll hold
off
on the DR.

oh come on Srgnt you know you want that DR. just think of how good
it will look sitting in the corner of the shed with all the other stuff
that only gets used once every three years.

Funny you should say that. I was just thinking of my walk-behind Gravely -
wondering if there was a "brush-hog" front mower for it. I checked the
machine and it had grown roots because it hadn't been moved in such a long
time.

the visual I got from your description was pretty funny.
I know exactly what you mean about growing roots. with
limited shed space the things I don't use often tend to
become buried under the things I do use.

DR field and brush Srgnt Billko Lawns 12 04-08-2007 11:31 PM
How long can I hold bare root plants? Jefffooz Gardening 3 13-04-2004 09:02 AM
Need to hold back some soil.... JNJ Gardening 2 03-09-2003 11:42 PM
Can silicone be used to hold in rocks in waterfall claude rogers Ponds 13 12-07-2003 01:01 AM
so did anyone get hold of pete (the gardner) in the end? Amber United Kingdom 11 14-01-2003 12:29 PM